Reviving my 270 Winchester.

xsn10s

Well instead of rebarreling my JC Higgins 270 win with chattered chamber I've decided to give it another shot. I had the chamber cleaned up though it still shows some chatter marks on the brass. I have some 135gr SMK's left and I cleared a tip. Boy they must have a deep cavity so I expect some terminal damage. I tried them before with IMR 4350 and I think IMR 4831, but I don't remember spectacular groups. It has my first bedding job on the stock so I might redue it for shites and gaggles. I've done searches for 135 SMK's accuracy loads, anyone have some recent data. If it works out I think I'll set this up for some 700 yard coyotes.

I never shot the Sierra Match Kings but used the 130 Sierra grain flat base, 130 grain boat tail and 130 grain ballistic tips in my 270. I got excellent accuracy using that IMR 4350, also RL 22 was fast and accurate. Best average groups came with the standard charge of 60 grains of H4831 SC and an average MV of 3030 fps.
I don't think you will get any expansion out of that MatchKing at the longer distances on something as small as a coyote. That bullet will probably pencil through at the velocity it will be going at 700 yards.
Just my thoughts,
Gary

I never shot the Sierra Match Kings but used the 130 Sierra grain flat base, 130 grain boat tail and 130 grain ballistic tips in my 270. I got excellent accuracy using that IMR 4350, also RL 22 was fast and accurate. Best average groups came with the standard charge of 60 grains of H4831 SC and an average MV of 3030 fps.
I don't think you will get any expansion out of that MatchKing at the longer distances on something as small as a coyote. That bullet will probably pencil through at the velocity it will be going at 700 yards.
Just my thoughts,
Gary
Thanks Gary. As far as the SMK opening at 700 yards I'm pretty sure it will since by JBM's chart it'll be still above 1800 fps and I'll clear the tip prior to using them. I'm considering the 140 BT's also but since I hunt on BLM land where cattle could be grazing on open range I perfer to use thinner jacketed bullets. If I can get the SMK's to shoot better I'll even open the tips up to close to 0.030" for more expansion. I'll have to revisit IMR 4350 and try some RL22. I used both IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 with so so results. Maybe I'll try to seat closer to the lands.

I ran the Sierra 90 grainers for Yotes for years
Yeah these yotes are well educated. They spotted me and took off at around 580 yards and even out to 1100 yards. I figure for now with the 270 Win a 700 yard range limit is okay. They're heavily hunted so I'll need to take longer shots unless I sneak up to them. Which of done before, but it's getting harder as the years go by lol.

I ran the Sierra 90 grainers for Yotes for years
I'm sure the "traditional" 270 varmint bullets would work great at closer ranges. It's pretty open desert ranges out here so it's more common to have shots past 400 yards or even 600 yards out here. I've been able to call them within 100 yards but that was more luck than skill. I'm not great at calling lol.

I'm hunting these yote with the purpose of helping out the ranchers and getting some trigger time training in. The yotes are getting thick out here and I've heard that some ranchers have even hired helicopters to keep the numbers down.

I'm a 270 man with 26 and 29 inch barrels. 110 HPBT and 120gr ballistic tips are your friend. Use big doses of Ram shot hunter , Superformance, or hybird 100 V and be exceeding 3500 fps out of only a 24 inch barrel.

Just look on Barnes reloading.

I'm a 270 man with 26 and 29 inch barrels. 110 HPBT and 120gr ballistic tips are your friend. Use big doses of Ram shot hunter , Superformance, or hybird 100 V and be exceeding 3500 fps out of only a 24 inch barrel.

Just look on Barnes reloading.

I really like Ballistic Tips but I won't be shooting them in this area due to their solid base. The 110 HPBT or even a VMAX at 3400 fps might be interesting. But compared the the 135 SMK at 3000 fps don't offer any advantage on JBM's ballistic calculator. But if I see some locally I'll try out the 110 VMAX to see if it shoots more accurately. I suspect I need to rebed the rifle again. My first bedding job could stand some improvement.

When the 6.8 first came out you could buy bulk 500, 1000 boxes of the 110 and 120 HPBT and it was my go to round for PD's Like 10 cents each. Vastly superior BC than 100 HP
Target barrel .277.jpg

My 29 inch 8 pound barrel Prarrie Dog and coyote getter. The stock was a month of work :) 20 coats tung oil.