Revisiting brass processing and loading order

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
No, it is actually .255 for fired brass straight from chamber.
Hmmm...
Perhaps my brain is misfiring...

Let me work thru this, and maybe someone will help my understanding. Am I wrong on the 6.5 bullet diameter? Thought it was 0.264".

A 6.5 bullet measures .264" outer diameter - correct?

Your 6.5 CM cartridge is loaded with a .264" diameter bullet, meaning the case neck ID is about .264" with a bullet seated.

Are you certain that after firing a loaded cartridge in your rifle that the ID of the case neck measures 0.255" in diameter? Meaning that the case neck ID is now 0.009" smaller than when the bullet was seated in the case neck?

Your case necks would be the most elastic example I've ever heard of.

Last edited:
Geez guys I apologize. I just realized I mixed my notes from 223 and 6.5CM. I've got to stop trying to mix this stuff with working on deciphering new tax bill. Please forget I every got onto this thread.

Obviously we have a communications problem. Either in Caliber or cartridge designation. 6.5mm=.264 Dia bullet + case neck thickness .014 twice=.292 for loaded cartridge at the neck. I would run a .290 or .289 bushing depending on which one shoots better. We don't see how it is possible for the outside of your fired neck to measure .037 smaller than the loaded cartridge neck. During firing it has to release the bullet most 6.5 fired cases have a fired neck outside dia. of .294 or so depending on brass brand and if they were turned on not.

The mandrel will open my sized case to .262. Is .002 difference between that dimension the .264 for the bullet enough tension?
There are things that will impact what follows but generally

Brass springs back about .002. So running a .262 expander into the neck should generally result in a .260 IO. I can't remember what mine actually turns out to be.

However, a .262 ID should be fine. There are considerations like crimping or not. Whether you anneal or not. If the bullet seating feel is consistent for each cartridge you should be happy with the results.

We have not had a go around on this for quite a while. I have "adjusted" my processing and loading order over the years to include things like annealing and having only one piece of brass charged at a time so I never double charge. Double charging is not usually an issue but for me the "loading block" and charging multiple cases at a time is a spill=overcharge accident waiting to happen.
decap
ss clean
size, neck size for 3 firings then anneal and fl size
check length and trim all to same length
prime
charge (usually 50 at a time)
when I have my charged cases in a block I then 1 at a time pour the powder on a beam scale and trickle up to desired weight, place my bullet on and seat it
I don't crimp

I do batches of 50 at a time to speed up the process. I also do the full blown case prep but that is usually done before ever firing the brass with no need to repeat.

Decap and clean primer pockets.
Sonic clean and anneal (every 2 firings)
Prime with hand primer. This tool gives me more feel for proper seating of primers.
Lube inside of case and outside of body. I dry lube the neck inside and out when using bushing dies.
FL size
Fill a loading tray with cases....
Drop a charge on the Chargemaster and seat bullet. In the time it takes me to seat a bullet, the auto setting of the chargemaster has another powder charge ready to go. Works out well. Double charging isn't possible with the rifle cartridges I shoot. Pistols I understand. I don't reload for them but if I did, I would drop all the charges at once using a reloading block systematically and visually check with light or a marked stick/pencil.

The most important part of reloading is to do it with absolutely no distractions.

I have a question for those who anneal. I try to anneal mostly after every firing but I'm trying to get away from sonic cleaning, I do it to get rid of the sticky tarnish inside the necks.

Do you guys size immediately after annealing without cleaning the tarnish off?
If so do you feel any undue resistance from the tarnish.

I have a question for those who anneal. I try to anneal mostly after every firing but I'm trying to get away from sonic cleaning, I do it to get rid of the sticky tarnish inside the necks.

Do you guys size immediately after annealing without cleaning the tarnish off?
If so do you feel any undue resistance from the tarnish.

I use a bronze brush ,on my RCBS case mate ,inside my necks to try to clean and polish the brass . if I don't brush inside the neck it feels rough and gritty when I size , especially when using the expander ball .

Thanks, thats what I did last time on some 26 Nosler brass. But the reason I am trying to get away from sonic cleaning is to keep the carbon residue rom firing. So I guess I'll keep on brushing the necks, thanks.

Thanks, thats what I did last time on some 26 Nosler brass. But the reason I am trying to get away from sonic cleaning is to keep the carbon residue rom firing. So I guess I'll keep on brushing the necks, thanks.

I also dip my bullet in powder graphite just before I seat it . this seems to help .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.