Review weaver tactical 4.5X14X44

Coyboy

I recieved this Japan made scope today and did a side by side with my Leupold 4X14X40 LR VXIII. I looked through both scopes at a woods line 800 yards away. Leupold was mounted, weaver was not so it made it a little difficult to hold real steady. The leupold had a slight edge in resolution and clairity, but the weaver was not far behind. As I looked into the shadowed area of some pines both scopes could bring out the branches that were shadowed the leupold mabe slightly more so. I set the weaver to 9X and compared it to my 3X9X40 grand slam. The weaver tactical was a little clearer, and brighter. I would put this scope right between the two others. It was a little better than the grand slam, and the leupold was a little better than the weaver tactical. Not to put down the Leupold you deffinetly new it was better glass. (hard to describe though) I will say for the price less than $400 It apears to have very good glass. Take note the leupold is 30MM weaver 1" tube. The weaver tactical is 1/8 min adj. and has aprox 51 min of adjustment from top to bottom. It carries aluminum target nobs with caps. Nobs are slippable back to zero by means of an alan head screw. Also supplied with 4" sunshade and screw in lens covers. My first impression of this scope is a good one. I will mount and test on a 30-06 Imp soon.

I forgot other pertinate information. The weaver tactical has a mil-dot recticle, which is in the first focal plane. So the mil-dot increases in size as power is turned up. The crosswires are pretty fine on 4.5 power and expand at 14X, but are not obtrusive in size.When I test the scope I will shoot a group with a mildot, then change the power setting and shoot a group onto the first, to make sure there is no shift in zero. Optimum eye relief at 14X measures out at about 3.5", longer at lower power.

A very old post but

I'm looking for such a scope

Any pointers?

Roy, I still have 3 of those scopes, they were excellent entry level LR optics to start with when I wrote that original post. I think 2 of the 3 are unmounted at this time. I have graduated into more tactical competitions and really don't use them anymore.
If your interested in one let me know $250 shipped sound OK? They are all in good condition with very little use.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.