Review - SuperCHRONO Accoustic Chronograph

Some of Steinert's web site is beginning to come back online again - the links are becoming functional. I find improved instructions there now for setting up their SuperChrono. Seems they are learning more about the art of setting up their unit, and they are now providing that additional information online. There's also an article from a German firearms magazine, providing recorded velocity comparisons of the SuperChrono to two other chronographs being operated in triplicate. They fired a number of different bullets from 7 different calibers/cartridges, and the velocity comparisons produced by the SuperChrono seem quite good. In fact, the differences in velocity between the two reference chronographs is sometimes larger than the variation from the SuperChrono to the average of the two reference chronographs. I'm not familiar with the test chronographs (Mehl BMC18 reference chronographs) used in this comparison, although the brand sounds German.

Here's two links that were functioning a few minutes ago...

How to Set up an Acoustic Shooting Chronograph

Leading German Firearms Magazine Visier: the SuperChrono Comes out on Top

More research completed on the SuperChrono. This link provides a manufacturer's calculator that indicates the accuracy of recorded velocity with the SuperChrono increases substantially with reduced bullet velocity, given equivalent error in system setup. This means velocities recorded at 1000 yds would be more accurate than velocity recorded at 10 yds, given the same exact system setup. The calculator is available at this link:

SuperChrono at 1000 meters

Here are two calculations from the manufacturer provided calculator. I entered a 59 inch aiming error at a distance of 1000 meters for both calculations. This is a 5 foot aiming error. I think I can maintain unit setup error in this range or less at 1000 meters.

This first one is with a bullet velocity of 2953fps, similar to muzzle velocity, showing an aiming error (due to the unit being set up less than perfectly parallel with bullet path) causing the recorded velocity to deviate from true bullet velocity by 11fps. Precision = 99.6%.

SuperChrono2953fps_zpsf8124857.jpg

This second calculation is with a bullet velocity of 1624 fps, similar to shooting my rifles at 1000 yds, showing the same aiming error causing a recorded velocity deviation of only 3fps from true bullet velocity, for a precision of 99.8%.

SuperChrono1625fps_zps870a277f.jpg

So the error in recorded velocity is reduced at lower bullet velocity. It is stated that this is due to the angle of the sonic wave (Mach wave) changing at lower velocity, compared to higher velocity. Bottom line, any operator errors which result in the unit not being perfectly aligned with the bullet path will have a reduced affect on recorded velocity error when recording downrange velocity (lower bullet velocity) compared to recording velocity just off the muzzle (higher bullet velocity). This is a plus for me, since my only use of the SuperChrono will be recording downrange bullet velocity.

Update:

I returned my unit to the distributor Rifles Only. They called and left a message that I will have a full refund. They talked to the manufacturer in Norway and told me that a few units were sent out with a faulty microchips. That issue is being resolved........

Phorwath,

Your link didn't work. Even tried typing in the first part. Would love to read those questions.

The answer they offered for larger magnums said 10 feet then later said 12 to 15 feet. Funny how they can't give a definitive answer.

I will need to bring a ladder and my binos to read the unit at that distance.

Here is a PDF file that Steinertsensing put on line:

http://www.steinertsensing.com/pub_docs/files/SuperChrono-Data-Sheet.pdf

This is copied from it :

"Detection distance:

From 25cm (10'') from the muzzle to any downrange distance for supersonic speed"

I am through messing around with this unit. It just isn't made for bench shooting especially at a range with other shooters. Can't get up every few shots to manipulate the unit which is downrange. Can't read it from bench and velocities are not consistent. It is going back.
Am I missing something here? Do you "need" to read the results for every shot? Doesn't it store the data so you can look at it after you're done firing your string? I'm not seeing the big deal in that or the fact that it needs to be set a little further away from the muzzle than the instructions say.
I own a magnetospeed. It shifts poi and affects accuracy, so you basically have to add a step to your load work up. You can't reliably do a ladder test or shoot for groups with the magnetospeed attached. So you have to first find an accurate load and then hook a magnetospeed to it and hope that ES and SD aren't crap. Without being able to chrony at the same time you do load work you don't know if the results on target agree with the chrony(ie, have a tight 200-300 yd group with bullets flying at inconsistent velocities, which would indicate a fluke).

Yes I think you should be able to read the velocity of every shot as it happens. I already have a CED Millenium, thought it would be nice to have a unit that read velocities regardless of light conditions.

All three styles of chronographs have their issues. I found the Superchrono not worth it for me and my situation.

I think the real issue with Chrono's is reliability and accuracy. I don't need to clock every shot I take to get the useful data I need. I just need it to work right when I want it to. I already have my share of wasted trips to the range with a finicky chrono. If a chrono has all the features you like but doesn't work 40% of the time, what good is it?

Not sure why the magnetospeed couldn`t design a way to hook it up the forearm via pic rail or sling stud.

I think the real issue with Chrono's is reliability and accuracy. I don't need to clock every shot I take to get the useful data I need. I just need it to work right when I want it to. I already have my share of wasted trips to the range with a finicky chrono. If a chrono has all the features you like but doesn't work 40% of the time, what good is it?

^^^^ This. Reliability is and repeatability are key issues of any chrono.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.