Reversed windage and elevation

hammer111

I bought a used Simmons 4 x 12 with AO. I'm sighting the gun in and it's shooting low. Made a couple adjustments didn't change, more adjustments and it got worse. Same scenario with windage.

So it dawned on me to go the opposite way. Sure enough it's bass ackwards. So the dials are right ( up and down)(left and right).
So can I fix it by switching the adjusters.
Anyone have this experience.

The elevation dial says up or down. But up is down and vice versa. Same with windage right moves left.

If you're talking about zeroing it's always the opposite way. Think about if you turn the turret "up", and it brings the adjustment down, it allows for the rifle barrel to go up to shoot at increased ranges. But if you are zeroing and it's low, you are trying to align the telescopic sight to the bullet impact, so if you are low, you will use "up" and bring the crosshair down to the bullet impact.

On the other hand, it's a Simmons, correct or incorrect....I wouldn't expect to much from it.

Old Simmons were 1/2 way decent scopes--- I wouldn't touch one now with a 10' pole

I have one from the early 90's that is a :44 mag" scope-- it's made in japan and has decent glass-- new ones are Chinese crud

A lot of scope turrets that say "up" is "bullet impact up". Which means reticle goes down, so you elevate the muzzle to remain on target, thus raising bullet impact.

Left/right is the same. Bullet impact left, reticle moves right, so you swing the muzzle left to remain on target, causing bullet impact left.

I bought a used Simmons 4 x 12 with AO. I'm sighting the gun in and it's shooting low. Made a couple adjustments didn't change, more adjustments and it got worse. Same scenario with windage.

So it dawned on me to go the opposite way. Sure enough it's bass ackwards. So the dials are right ( up and down)(left and right).

There's an easier way than looking at the turrets to see which direction it says to go, I've seen several makers have it backwards. Put your crosshairs back where you were just aiming. While looking through the scope adjust to point of impact. Shoot again. Adjust if necessary.

No need to count how many inches and divide that into clicks and get confused.

I have a Simmons 6x22x50 Whitetail Classic, on a Winchester Model 70 300WM that i bought about 32 years ago, and the adjustments are backwards on it also. It confused the heck out of me trying to sight that scope in, until i figured out it was backwards.

If you're talking about zeroing it's always the opposite way. Think about if you turn the turret "up", and it brings the adjustment down, it allows for the rifle barrel to go up to shoot at increased ranges. But if you are zeroing and it's low, you are trying to align the telescopic sight to the bullet impact, so if you are low, you will use "up" and bring the crosshair down to the bullet impact.

On the other hand, it's a Simmons, correct or incorrect....I wouldn't expect to much from it.
So your saying by turning the adjuster up it will shoot low. No matter how much I turn it up

Well of all my scopes I own this is the only one that shoots low at 200 yards when I adjust it up

I know it's a *** scope . It's just to hold me until I can get a better one.

Tj
So your saying by turning the adjuster up it will shoot low. No matter how much I turn it up

Well of all my scopes I own this is the only one that shoots low at 200 yards when I adjust it up

I know it's a *** scope . It's just to hold me until I can get a better one.
The scope is fine. You just have to get used to the reverse adjustments. Mine is still on the same rifle, and I have e taken hundreds of deer with it over the years. I absolutely will not replace it.

Tj
The scope is fine. You just have to get used to the reverse adjustments. Mine is still on the same rifle, and I have e taken hundreds of deer with it over the years. I absolutely will not replace it.
I'm going to fix it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.