Reverse engineer .300 Win Mag Berger factory match grade 215 hybrid OTM ammo

gznokes

I tried a box of .300 Win Mag factory ammunition—Berger brand match grade 215 hybrid OTM ammunition in a new rifle bc I didn't have time to work up a load. It shot really well. I'd like to reload this round and use it as a starting point. The main thing I'd like to know is what powder is used? I believe I can reverse engineer the rest of it. as I ask that question I give the disclaimer that any reply would be taken as a suggestion and would be carefully consulted against manuals. I'm not going to blindly reload based on a reply from the internet. If anyone has done this or is familiar w powder to give their opinion I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ammunition companies do NOT use the same powers as we do.

We use "Canister" powders, that are blended (like fine whiskey) so each can we buy, this year or next, is the same as the can we bought last year (within tiny limits).

Ammunition companies use "Bulk" powders - they buy 10,000 or 50,000 pounds of a bulk powder within a given burning range - each batch will be close, but not the same - each lot of ammunition will have a different load - one lot might be ball powder, and the next might be stick powder.

So don't chase a non-existent powder.

Start with a good powder (that you can actually buy) and work up a load - you can probably do better.

Chronograph the factory load, also many times factory ammo does in fact use the same powders we use but yes they are bulk batches and they will "re-do" the load for each batch of powder.
If you pull the bullet, look at the powder and weigh the charge you can often get a good starting point for your own reloading process.
If you cant figure out what powder it is, then post a pic-- but often times if you think you know what powder it is, and the speeds are close to book speeds it will give you clues too

Chronograph the factory load, also many times factory ammo does in fact use the same powders we use but yes they are bulk batches and they will "re-do" the load for each batch of powder.
If you pull the bullet, look at the powder and weigh the charge you can often get a good starting point for your own reloading process.
If you cant figure out what powder it is, then post a pic-- but often times if you think you know what powder it is, and the speeds are close to book speeds it will give you clues too

That is the worst reloading advice I have ever read on the internet - and that's sayin' something.

Factories NEVER use canister powder - they cannot afford it. Canister powder costs 20+ times as much as bulk powder.

And you cannot identify powder by pictures.

Jeeze!!

Factories do in fact use some of the same powder we do. No they don't buy it in canisters but in bulk. Where do you think all the h1000 is right now. Going in factory loads for the military. Norma uses the same powder we do in the 6br factory loads. And I know there are alot of powders you can identify by visual inspection. Especially stick powders.
Shep

Factories do in fact use some of the same powder we do. No they don't buy it in canisters but in bulk. Where do you think all the h1000 is right now. Going in factory loads for the military. Norma uses the same powder we do in the 6br factory loads. And I know there are alot of powders you can identify by visual inspection. Especially stick powders.
Shep

Nonsense.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.