Reuse Pulled Bullets???

NorthernHunter67

So I've loaded 50-300wsm with Nosler Accubond180gr bullets I pulled with an Impact Hammer. The tips look good.
Question: Would you use them only as paper puncher's or would you hunt with them?

Attachments

• 20210315_212329.jpg
    20210315_212329.jpg
    805.2 KB · Views: 186
Did you put some type of cushioning material in the puller to help prevent the bullets from deforming? Even though they look good, the tip could possibly be bent, although I have been told that the bent tip won't affect accuracy. I have reloaded pulled bullets in the past, but don't use them on my elk hunt. I use them for practice, sight-in, etc but not for the 'once in a lifetime' shot. With the price of bullets these days, and the lack of availability I certainly wouldn't trash them, but sounds like you haven't done that since you reloaded them.
For deer, coyote, etc hunting I think I would use them, just not for my elk hunt.

Did you put some type of cushioning material in the puller to help prevent the bullets from deforming? Even though they look good, the tip could possibly be bent, although I have been told that the bent tip won't affect accuracy. I have reloaded pulled bullets in the past, but don't use them on my elk hunt. I use them for practice, sight-in, etc but not for the 'once in a lifetime' shot. With the price of bullets these days, and the lack of availability I certainly wouldn't trash them, but sounds like you haven't done that since you reloaded them.
For deer, coyote, etc hunting I think I would use them, just not for my elk hunt.
I should add more padding in the hammer, good point.

I should add more padding in the hammer, good point.
It's probably okay, it's just that the tip is design to help expansion on impact. When exposed lead tip were the rage they get really banged up in the magbox. You could test out to the ranges you intend to shoot at, but I'd think for accuracy they'd be fine out to 400 yards. As far as terminal performance I'd limit them to deer or such. They'd probably be fine, but why risk it especially on a trophy hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts