Return to Zero

Buffalobob

The rifle has sat around for 3 months since it was zeroed. It was dialed up 3MOA to shoot a deer in late November and is still set there. After testing some new bullets, I set the dial to back to zero on the Nightforce and use the load that it was zeroed with. The object was to compare the group size of the 155SMKs to my usual 175s but it also demonstrated a few other things

The aiming point is the bottom center piece of tape and the upper right corner of it.

Watch the sunlight change right before the third shot is fired and see where that bullet goes.

YouTube - Retrun to zero.m2ts

This is not any great test being as it was only a three MOA but it happened to be on the video and some other threads had discussed scope tracking.

mine set in the safe from dec till sept, In late dec. I had dialed in 25.5 MOA to make a 1350 yd. shot, then the following sat I dialed it to zero, then back up for a couple guys to shoot does at 575, then got it out this past sept. checked the 300 yard zero, was .5 moa off vert. and .25 moa windage. after running a few shots at 800 yards for practice before season I used it all fall dialin to hellanback, my last shot was at a deer at 1005 yards, POI was exactly at POA (after I got the range down) I put it back on zero and I'll let ya know in sept where its at. Oh its a mark 4/M1
RR

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that with the temp diff pressure will increase and decrease changing velocity which means vertical dispersion. Also depending on the rifle and how it is built it may or may not be sensitive to rest placement.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts