Retumbo loads for 300 Win Mag.

Yes..it shocked me too. I've read reports (with skeptisism) of people who seem to go past max loads when highly compressed and see no jump in speed or apparent pressure. If you understand the 300 win mag cartridge at about 83 grains of powder and trying to cram a long 200 grain bullet down to 3.340 you can imagine the compression. Don't know if that's the factor I saw or not. Perhaps I was way past max with my 200 grain load but it somehow didn't react...but then dropping to a 180 I had the super speedy result. 180 tsx's should NOT be doing 3225 out of a 24" barrel in a 300 win mag!
I have gotten faster than that with 4350 under a 180 bullet in 300 win mag. That is not necessarily excessive. (I cannot get an accurate load with 4350 so I ditched it, but it was fast).

Reloader 26 75 grains under 200 grain Accubond, 77 under 190 grain Bergers or Barnes LRX. and up to 80 grains under a 180 grain Nosler Accubond. All loads are safe in my rifle and velocities are very nice. Tried 8133 and Retumbo with 215 grain Bergers but that was very compressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.