Retumbo loads 300 WM 210 & 215gr bullets

drpbroun5

I have been looking for some load data for Retumbo powder in 300 Winchester Magnum for 210 grain and 215 grain bullets. I would greatly appreciate suggestions. Thank you!
Paul

Hodgdon lists Retumbo @ 84 grains MAX on a 200 Grain Speer... at 3.340
I have used this load with a 215 in ALL of my 300 Win Mags with good success... (200 Speer Hotcore 215M, WW Brass,3.340) (~3050-3150 my #1 was a screamer)
However YOU CANNOT USE VIRGIN BRASS. There is simply too much compression.
Even using 180s on this charge is approaching 110% compression. ( about 3250fps)

Id start around 75-76 with fireformed cases and work up... especially with the 215 Berger.

I loaded Retumbo at 75 gr. with my 230s and had decent results. For what ever reason H1000 works better in MY 300 WM. I know they are very close in burn rate/speed.
good luck
Indeed... they are brothers... But for whatever reason, Retumbo seems to be a lot calmer..and cleaner.

Indeed... they are brothers... But for whatever reason, Retumbo seems to be a lot calmer..and cleaner.

My ES was lower with H1000 and they are both rated as "extreme powders" by Hodgdon. I bought some Retumbo bc I could not find any H1000 and I had heard good things about Retumbo. Maybe I should try it again but from my original findings I think it burns a little too slow for the 300 wm.
I did not get bad results just better results with H1000. If you or anyone has good data/info. please enlighten me.

I mostly load H1000 with the 215 hybrids. I'm at 76.0 grains in R-P brass with a fed 215M for the best ES and it's right at 2845 fps.

I've worked with retumbo quite a bit in my 300 WM. My best load with Retumbo and a 215 hybrid is 76.8 grains in R-P brass with a CCI 250 and a 215 Berger seated .015 off. Velocity is 2870 fps. I have another one that shoots well, but it's too hard on brass. It's 77.5 grains with a 215M at 2920 fps. Retumbo is compressed with a 215 at around 76.5-77.0 grains even when loaded long.

My ES was lower with H1000 and they are both rated as "extreme powders" by Hodgdon. I bought some Retumbo bc I could not find any H1000 and I had heard good things about Retumbo. Maybe I should try it again but from my original findings I think it burns a little too slow for the 300 wm.
I did not get bad results just better results with H1000. If you or anyone has good data/info. please enlighten me.

What were you lighting Retumbo with? the 215M was always my goto, and now since they've been so ungodly hard to get ahold of in this area, the WLRM is now my goto ignition. As far ES/SD I haven't noticed any degradation of any sort.

Truth be told, across all weapons in my fleet... I use WLR/WLRMs exclusively...
Just got done doing load development on my 6.5x284 Norma (M48 Patriot) and a 7 STW... in an SPS long range.... funny thing with the STW is... it's a gimme rifle.
I traded off old stock and got a gem... sub moa with very little work involved...

I use 79 hrs of Retumbo with 210 VLD's and LRAB's. With Norma brass , 215 primers, I get 2900FPS out of my 24" Milspec, .25-.5MOA and ES of 10-12FPS. I can only get 2810FPS with H1000.

I use 215's and the 215M if I can find them. They are VERY hard to find tho....
If or when you come up with some solid load data please PM me with it when you have time. So far in MY 300wm I have had the best results with H1000. My ES is often times in the single didgits. It's hard to argue with that. I will give the Retumbo another try.

Berger Boy,
We show for RETUMBO a starting load of 75.5 grains with a maximum of 79.6 grains . Approximate velocities are 2719 to 2874 FPS. Fill ratio is 107%.
H1000 is 71.5 grains to start with a maximum load of 75.5 grains. Approximate velocities are 2646 to 2804 FPS . Fill ratio is 103% so both RETUMBO and H1000 are compressed loads. You may also want to vist the Berger website and read the BLOG articles on "VLDs , Making them shoot" and Bryan s two articles on how bullet seating depth can affect the load. And pay more attention to the SD than the ES of your loads as the SD indicated the possible vertical dispersion of your load. Try to get it to 10 or less if you can. Hope this helps!

Barefooter,
In working up a load for my 300WM I loaded up to 80.5gr of H1000 with NO pressure signs whatsoever. I used new Lapua brass, Federal 215M primers, and Accubond LR 210gr bullets. I have to believe that the Berger recommended loads are very anemic. I realize that y'all have to err in the side of caution, safety, and liability; but the ones you give seem to be exceedingly low.
Paul

Barefooter,
In working up a load for my 300WM I loaded up to 80.5gr of H1000 with NO pressure signs whatsoever. I used new Lapua brass, Federal 215M primers, and Accubond LR 210gr bullets. I have to believe that the Berger recommended loads are very anemic. I realize that y'all have to err in the side of caution, safety, and liability; but the ones you give seem to be exceedingly low.
Paul

Just want to say , after working with dozens of rifles chambered in 300 win with 210 to 230 gr bullets, both factory and customs. 80.5 gr load of H-1000 is testing things. I suggest you back that off and go no further. I too shoot Lapua 300 win brass. I realize all rifles are different, and I have seen rifles show ejector pin marks and a slight bolt lift at 74 gr. While others will go to 78 gr with the same lot of powder before exhibiting any sign of pressure. With a 210 or 215 from a 28" and 77 gr of H-1000 you are typically well over 2900 fps and could be at 3000. I believe this is by all means max velocity from a standard throated chamber and caution should be taken when going further.

Just my 2 cents from personal experience and with all our safety in mind.

FWIW

Jeff

Barefooter,
Paul
drpbroun5,
Our loads are on the conservative side. But keep in mind how much longer our VLD and Hybrid bullets are compared to bullets used in the past and how this can affect pressure rather quickly in some cases. In short you have to use a different thought process than before and start at the low end and work up instead of "splitting the difference" in a published load range as a starting load. Especially on a rifle with a short throat. Also seating depth testing MAY be a little more involved with the VLD than our Hybrid due to the nose design. These are not SAAMI nose length bullets like the ACCUBOND or our CLASSIC HUNTER and should be done at the lowest charge listed. As you know..ALWAYS ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY AND USE THE MOST RECENT PUBLISHED LOAD INFORMATION. Check out the two articles mentioned in our response to BergerBoy above and feel free to contact us here or at [email protected] anytime!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.