Retumbo load?

moosehunter

I want to develope a hunting load with this powder using 190gr. spbt in my 300 win mag. Near as I can figure 81gr. sould be the starting load and about 85 the max depending on pressure. How do you educated folks feel about this. Also any ideas on velocity from a 26" stainless barrel wihta 1-9 twist?

Thnks Jerry;
I'm already a fan of the H1000. I figured to get a can of this and do a hunting load with the 190's then give it a go with the 240's. By the way I got shot down for that elk hunt in Alberta. My bud there cant get any time off till November. I could go then cause the season is open till Nov. 30th. but I dont know if that would be to late for good success or not.

Have a look at the Hodgdon site. There is lots of data now for the Retumbo powder.

From what I can see, performance is going to be very similar to Re22/25, H1000. It is only when you get to really heavy bullets, or overbore cartridges, that there "might" be an advantage.

This stuff is supposed to burn between H1000 and H870 so does provide an alternative to Re25. It should be temp. insensitive so would work well when developing loads for cases like the 300RUM and larger using heavier bullets, or very overbore cartridges.

For the 300Win mag and 190gr bullets, my guess is that the H4831SC, Re22, IMR 7828 and H1000 are going to give you equal or better performance out of a 26" barrel.

Good luck...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts