Retumbo in 300 Ultra

Charter

Has anyone tried the Retumbo powder in the 300 Ultra. The listed valued for a 180 gr. Speer SPBT are (MAX) 100.5 at a velocity of 3300 out of a 24" barrel with 62,300psi. My 300 has a 26", should I expect 3350-3400 fps?
The bullet has a BC of .540 so it should carry pretty well. I am considering using this for hunting, but am concerned about the bullet not holding together at the close range velocities.

Let me know what you think.

Than

RL25 is THE powder for the 180gr bullet's.Retumbo does not start to come into it's own until the 220 and 240gr bullet's are used...I have safely gotten 3410 with the 178 a-max and rl25 in a 26" barrel

Ive been playing around with it some in my 300 ultra. I have yet to find that magic load though, most groups run around an inch. So far Ive tried the 200 SMK and 180 sierra SBT bullets.

Roger that, Boyd. In several different calibers, my experiance thus far is I reach pressure before the velocity I am expecting. Staying with Rel-25 for now but searching hard for a replacement, since it varies so much from lot to lot and is temp. finicky.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts