Retumbo for a 6.5x284 load

I've been trying Retumbo in my .300WinMag with the 208gn A-Max and CCI 250's but best I can do so far is .5". May try a different primer to see if I can tighten it up some more. Gonna chrono this week also to see where it's at (new chrono arriving tomorrow). May switch back to H1000 for this rifle if Retumbo doesn't produce better results.

Good Luck. JohnnyK.

I also use Retumbo in my 300 Win Mag with 210 Bergers and Long Range Accubonds. With Fed 215's over 79 gr, and Norma brass I get .25MOA, and 2900FPS out of my 24" barrel. I was using H1000 with the same accuracy but could only get 2750FPS before I ran into pressure signs. I haven't tried the 208 A-Max.

Never tried them, but I did try 140 Nosler Partitions a few years ago and believe I got about 2950FPS. Shouldn't be much difference.

Awesome. That's good to know. Ill have to load some up and try. I'd like to get over 2900 if possible. But I won't go so far as to sacrifice to much of the accuracy I'm getting. If I can get over 2900 and hold less than 1/2moa I'd be tickled pink.

Tried Retumbo through my 6.5-284 last July and was thoroughly please with the accuracy and velocity. I am pushing the 140gn A-Max at approx. 3040fps and groups are literally one-hole. I'm using the CCI BR2.
I've only taken it to 700yds so far on paper but accuracy is very good at that distance. I didn't measure it with a ruler or tape measure but 5 shots could be covered with a playing card :)
I also used this load during this past deer season and 7 out of 8 were one-shot DRT. The one exception; I used a .25-06 Sendero w/115gn Berger. It was also one-shot but the doe ran about 50-75yds. No biggie, she still made it to the chili pot! :)

I've been trying Retumbo in my .300WinMag with the 208gn A-Max and CCI 250's but best I can do so far is .5". May try a different primer to see if I can tighten it up some more. Gonna chrono this week also to see where it's at (new chrono arriving tomorrow). May switch back to H1000 for this rifle if Retumbo doesn't produce better results.

Good Luck. JohnnyK.

Mind sharing that load data for the 140 amax?

I am amazed at some of the speeds guys are getting. I can not shoot 58 grains of retumbo without destroying my brass in any of the 3 6.5-284's I have. I needed to be at 57 or less.

Best speeds I could do with a load that didn't put ejector marks on the brass is 2920-2940. Most safe loads came in right around 56.5 grains with 210m. This is 24" barreled rifle. Lapau brass. I went to a 28.5" and switched to Nosler brass and had to settle at 56.5 with 210's. 215's put marks on the case. That produces around 3025 with averages being 3020. I ordered new lapau brass and need to restest and see if I can get back to the 57-58 level without beating my brass to crap. I am happy with 3050 fps and low impact on the rifle and brass and keep accuracy in the .5 or less mark. I verify all my drop data in the field at 1000 yards by the way.

However, I did find Retumbo produced better speeds for me then H4831 as well. I have not tried 7828 or 1000 yet

I also use Retumbo in my 300 Win Mag with 210 Bergers and Long Range Accubonds. With Fed 215's over 79 gr, and Norma brass I get .25MOA, and 2900FPS out of my 24" barrel. I was using H1000 with the same accuracy but could only get 2750FPS before I ran into pressure signs. I haven't tried the 208 A-Max.

I actually tried both the 208 A-Max and 210 VLD on the same day, same load, everything. Just cleaned in between the two loads, and the Berger's groups were actually a little tighter. I was so dang impressed with the 140 A-Max(6.5-284) that I just knew the 208's would be the bullet that would guarantee my name in the Redneck Shooting Hall of Fame!
So, I tried the 208 again. My results aren't conclusive or final but it's looking like it ain't meant to be.
(Hall of Fame thingy) :). I am getting .564" at 81.0gns and that's good, but IMO, just good. I haven't tried them at any distance yet but it would be interesting to see how they group at 500yds or so.
I'm at a point where I need to make a decision. H1000 is a consideration but the chrono will tell the tale and sway me big time. I love accuracy but I need speed!

I'm shooting 59.0 gns of Retumbo with a CCI BR2 primer. My rifle likes them seated .010" off the lands/grooves. Your mileage may vary. :)

Thanks. Ill give the amax a try if I can get a hold of them. I don't think I can shoot that load. With Berger 140 vld my Max is 58 grains. I can't imagine the amax would be more.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts