Retumbo Equivalent

Dnk9444

So, I'm about out of Retumbo for my STW. I have RL25 and it's ok. But my gun loves Retumbo. I have some US-869 to try. What are y'all's thought on either Ramshot Magnum or LRT?

So, I'm about out of Retumbo for my STW. I have RL25 and it's ok. But my gun loves Retumbo. I have some US-869 to try. What are y'all's thought on either Ramshot Magnum or LRT?
Ive heard good things about ramshot magnum but I think it's a little faster burning than Retumbo. Also, LRT has had alot of good things said about it. It may be just a touch slower burning than Retumbo. I would say that LRT may be more at home in the stw case, especially pushing 175gr plus bullets. I run N570 & 180s in my stw. Retumo has been an all around winner for me in several cartridges. I'm heavily dependant on retumbo. I remember 15 years or so ago, alot of folks didn't like it for some reason. It was a good thing for me because there was always some Retumbo on a shelf somewhere back in those days.

That's kinda what I was thinking on the LRT. Just never hear anything about it. I ran Retumbo in 300rum back in the day. It was always available and shot well. I found a good load with Rl25 and just went away from it.

LRT is very similar to US869 but more stable. Try it and I think you will like it. Another is Norma 217. About a twin to retumbo but double base. In my lilja barrel 300 weatherby I am getting 3150 with a 200 nosler in remington brass and it shoots under a half inch. WLRM primer and a compressed charge. 200 and above only. Too slow for a 180

That's kinda what I was thinking on the LRT. Just never hear anything about it. I ran Retumbo in 300rum back in the day. It was always available and shot well. I found a good load with Rl25 and just went away from it.
Just from a few people I've talked to about LRT, it was a good powder for them. And just as good if not better velocity wise, than Retumbo. I do think it may be just a touch more temp sensitive, I could be wrong. I do like low temp sensitivity but I don't get to worked up about it due to the fact that I hunt in weather usually no colder than 10 degrees & no hotter than 60 degrees, rarely as low as 10 or as high as 60.

Just from a few people I've talked to about LRT, it was a good powder for them. And just as good if not better velocity wise, than Retumbo. I do think it may be just a touch more temp sensitive, I could be wrong. I do like low temp sensitivity but I don't get to worked up about it due to the fact that I hunt in weather usually no colder than 10 degrees & no hotter than 60 degrees, rarely as low as 10 or as high as 60.
No ball powder will be as unsensitive as the hodgdon extreme or vihtavouri powders. But from what I have heard staball 6.5 is as good. The ball powders are getting better.

7828 works pretty good with the light bullets. But for the heavier bullets I am a full case guy. R26, retumbo, LRT. But in saying that with a 160 and 74 grains of R22 I got 3250 in a 26 inch Hart. But as you know every rifle is different. Start lower and work up.

I've been working with LRT in the 28 Nosler with the 175 Partition, and 180 Hybrid. Love how it meters. Good velocity, 3150-3200 without pressure, for both. Have not run temp stability tests, but nothing discernible at 600 yds between 40-70F. Love how it meters. If I had any Retumbo left, I'd s*** can it. Oh, and Love how it meters.

Last edited: