Retumbo and E.S.

David Hunter

On another board, someone said they got high extreme spreads when using Retumbo. Has any of you found that to be true also? I was thinking of trying it in .300 R.U.M. w/ 180g Sciroccos and 200g AccuBonds. I know some shooters like it with the heavier bullets. How does it work with mid-wieght 180g and 200g bullets?

I posted a question on the longrangehunting section called:

Opinions on Hodgdon Retumbo

a day or two ago.

So far I have gotten one response that stated single digit es.

Check it out ...

David,I have shot THOUSAND'S of round's of 300 ultra.Retumbo works VERY well with the HEAVY bullet's.For bullet's under 220gr RL25 seems to be the best powder.My match load's with Retumbo and the 240's had 10 shot e.s.'s under 10fps.With the 180 to 200 class bullets RL25 is the ticket.Trust me.I am working on my 4th 300 ultra barrel...
shocked.gif
grin.gif

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Boyd,

RL-25 seems too temperature sensitive too me. I am using H-1000 now. Since they are very close in burn rate. I will ***/u/me for 180-200g bullets You would say H-1000 would be a better choice than Retumbo?

Posted reply on Retumbo for 300 Ultra.
Have to play with powder. I use 96gr. behind 190gr. Bergers. After playing with seating depth. Have achieved a 3/8" group. With 2.5 FPS E.S.

When I bought my 300RUM I had heard alot about berger bullets, Retumbo and Ramshot Magnum powder. I figured I didn't want to shoot anything lighter then a 180gr bullet and didn't want to shoot anything heavier then a 210gr bullet. So I tried 185gr, 190gr and 210gr bergers. I was very disappointed with the groups I was getting. So I played around with seating a little farther out, they will still fit in the magazine, have not shot those yet and I am also going to try a few that are longer the the magazine, those will be an experiment as I don't want a single shot rifle.
Then I came across a thread about the Hornady 208gr Amax and Hodgdon US 869 powder. I have not found much data on the 208gr Amax. So far this 300RUM Sendero has been a hard gun to get good groups with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.