Retirement Present To Me - To Use 6.5 Bullets

CaptnC

Got the receiver, a nice chassis and the scope is on the way...

I own a bunch of 6.5 guns already, so I have a good selection of bullets and Dies.

I'm kicking the chambering around. I.plan to shoot it alot, so the amount of powder per case comes into play. I shoot 130gr class bullets in most of my 6.5's. I also would like those 130's over 3000fps.

So I went into Nosler web site to get some general info on 4 possible choices. 6.5-06 (my original choice)...6.5PRC...6.5x284...
6.5 Creedmoor. I already have 3 of the 4 so dies are on hand for those.

I grabbed some info from Nosler site of powders I already have that were in FPS range I'm looking for.

130gr class bullets...
6.5 Creedmoor Hybrid 100v 43.5gr. 2927fps

6.5-06 H4831 50gr. 3074fps

6.5x284 IMR 4831 51.5gr. 3092

From Hodgdon site (I know they are conservative )
6.5PRC H1000 58.9gr. 3041

6.5 Creedmoor brass is everywhere but it's not quite fast enough and it gets worse the heavier the bullets. It was high on my choices but...I don't know.

6.5-06 Even though there is no brass head stamped 6.5-06, 25-06 is plentiful so thats good. I like the velocities and get better than published velocities...big plus to me.

6.5x284 is slightly behind the 6.5-06 velocity wise (one reason I built a 6.5-06 before a 6.5x284), more powder...the one I have is more configured to shooting targets than hunting, so it doesn't see much action.

6.5 PRC newest popular flavor out there right now...not much gain over the 6.5-06 and uses more powder to do it!

Dug around the Internet today and the barrel will most likely come from Northland Shooting Supply, but I don't see the 6.5 PRC listed...

Sooooooooo how errored is my thought process?

OLT- I originally wanted it to be a 280 Remington !

One thing I forgot to mention was the action is a Savage so I was planning to go with a Criterion prefit barrel...

I've been tempted to do the Sherman a while back"

One thing I forgot to mention was the action is a Savage so I was planning to go with a Criterion prefit barrel...

I've been tempted to do the Sherman a while back"
All they need is a reamer and you can rent them from Rich Sherman. His handle here is elkaholic. Message him he'd be happy to speak with you.

Retired!? Congrats on making it to retirement.

43 years...the last year or so I was working 62 to 65 hours a week...this week was my first real week of retirement (I'm always off the last two weeks of the year)...

The days are so long! I'm glad time didn't drag like this when I worked! LOL

I'm only 60yo...most people say I move and look like I "might be" 50...so I may have to get another job so I can maintain myself.

.260 Rem.
If 6.5CM is just under 3000, .260 should get you there.
Especially if you have a 26" barrel.
My 22" 6.5SLR gets 2901 with the 130 OTM.

Your smartest choice is the creed. It will do what you want with less, and if it more range than hunting it should have best barrel life.

As owner of 2 6.5-06's, if I were to build over again, I would do the 6.5-284. The 6.5-06 are my main hunting and range guns,1 light build, 1 is heavy and I really like them. But For the Same ballistics, and quality stamped brass is readily available for 6.5-284. For no ballistic gain it's a headache keeping brass separated since it don't say what it really is, although it's as simple a wildcat as can be.

Now if you have a magnum bolt face I would do 6.5 PRC. It will do a little more with the heavies if you want to go that route some day.

wait yet another possibility would be the 6.5 RPM. If you want more speed than the other offering.

Yup I'm no help here!!!

Why not 6.5-300 Weatherby? It's a barrel burner as all the 6.5 hot ones are & it's the fastest & holds more powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.