Reticles

junkpile

I've got a project in the works right now, but trying to narrow down what scope I want. Also thinking about changing things up on my 308 at the same time.

I've got 2 of what I consider to be decent scopes. VX 3 3.5-10x40 and Vari-X 4 4.5-14x40. The vx3 has a duplex, and the vari-x 4 has mildot. What are your favorite reticles for 0-800 yards, and for beyond that, assuming a seperate rifle?

Also, I've never tried checking into changing reticles. Is this something that Leupold does, or should I look elsewhere? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do rough ranging.

In Leupold, I prefer the TMR reticle. Give Leupold a call about switching out the reticle but I'm pretty sure their custom shop can swap it out for you for a fee.

Geb

I like the look of that reticle, but haven't had a chance to work with one, yet. Really like the looks of the ART reticle, especially since it's numbered, but once again...

What sort of ranges are you dealing with on that reticle? Are you using it for ranging?

My wife and I both shoot tactical competition. She uses the Leupold TMR reticle while I'm running the Nightforce with MLR which is very similar. We shoot out to as far as the match has targets, last match being something like 1150. The TMR is a very good reticle for LR stuff with the open center and finer 0.20 mil ranging marks on the outer edges. We have used both these reticles for ranging effectively out to 500 yds. Haven't had the opportunity nor need to use them for ranging past that yet but feel confident in our abilities to do so as long as we know target size. None of our shots are on game based off of ranging with the reticle since target size isn't exactly known and we carry LRF's anyway for a much more accurate range. But the TMR is a good reticle for LR shooting. If you hold for both elev. and wind then a reticle with more of a tree design might be better.

Geb

A lot depends on how you plan on shooting at long distances. I dial up for elevation, but hold-off for windage corrections. So for me, having a reticle with 1 or 2 MOA stadia is a requirement. If you plan on dialing in your windage corrections, then this becomes much less relevant.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.