Reticle/turret leveling?

I just mounted a scope on a new browning. My first issue is that not all actions are flat enough to mount a level on top. Using the action is not decisive because you can get a big variance on where exactly and how you mount the level.
So I tried to use the top of the rear scope ring with a level across them. I thought all was good until I checked the front scope ring. They did not align up..

I don't know what the answer is, but if all the manufactures of actions had to put a level surface on top to aid in scope mounting (which would also help in truing the action to a stock). That would be ideal. JMO
Try your level on just a regular scope base to get your gun level.

How is this running doggy so to speak, corrected? Re-drill holes for the bases?

This may be an option. Current actions are are generally pretty straight but some of the older rifles are not. I have a couple that have this issue, both 70's vintage Remington 700's. It should be checked if building a rifle with an older action. It can be corrected by windage adjustable bases like an adjustable pic rail base, or the old dovetail/windage screw Redfields.

I also use the EXD tool. I have leveled my reticle other ways before with different levels, but it assumes things are machined perfectly. after purchasing this tool a couple months ago for my comp. rifle I went back an checked they were all a little off. Not much but a little, enough to affect shot maybe maybe not.

Here is a Great Video by some guys I compete with using the tool an a plumb bob.

This may be an option. Current actions are are generally pretty straight but some of the older rifles are not. I have a couple that have this issue, both 70's vintage Remington 700's. It should be checked if building a rifle with an older action. It can be corrected by windage adjustable bases like an adjustable pic rail base, or the old dovetail/windage screw Redfields.
Didn't think about adjustable bases, they should work as long as they are both the same level. If the holes are not perfectly on the very top of the action then they have got to be down over the side slightly, I believe the adjustable scope mounts will only allow you to find the center of the bore not necessarily make things level.

Forgot to add that it would still work out if you can get your vertical crosshair plum. The vertical-reticle- instrument that you use should get every thing level.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.