Reticle Question-Please Advise

thehulk

Here's the scenario:

500 yard shot
Zero-100 Yards
Zero wind
.300WSM 26'' 1/10 twist
180 Winchester Supreme X 180gr 2970 FPS BC 0.394 http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/super-x/power-max-bonded/Pages/X300WSMBP.aspx
Elevation 700FT
Temp 65*F
1/4 click Adj on my scope

Without doping the scope, can someone please use my reticle and show me where they would aim, and why. Im looking for someone to save my attachment and put there point of aim on the pic, for a visual. Thank you.

I will ask a few more questions, but not until I can get this scenario completed. The reason I'm asking is because I may not get the chance to adjust my elevation or windage when hunting and would like to better understand the usage of my reticle.

Attachments

• scope retical.png
    scope retical.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 74
Im guessing just for fun, I have a 325wsm,I use 200 zero and 200 gr. Put the ten dead center should do.

The section from the center of the cross hair to the bottom of the stada lines is 30MOA What is your DOPE for 30MOA?

Do you have DOPE for 30MOA? That looks like factory ammo, have you run it over a chronograph to see what your actually getting in FPS? Ifyou dont have DOPE you can enter the info in to your PDA if you dont have a PDA enter the info in to the free one on the site here. It will give you a very close estamate of the drops, I say close cause you need to varify your FPS.

Every hash mark it 2 MOA. Enter your info in the calculator.
Long Range Hunting Ballistics Calculator

Jon

The section from the center of the cross hair to the bottom of the stada lines is 30MOA What is your DOPE for 30MOA?

Do you have DOPE for 30MOA? That looks like factory ammo, have you run it over a chronograph to see what your actually getting in FPS? Ifyou dont have DOPE you can enter the info in to your PDA if you dont have a PDA enter the info in to the free one on the site here. It will give you a very close estamate of the drops, I say close cause you need to varify your FPS.

Every hash mark it 2 MOA. Enter your info in the calculator.
Long Range Hunting Ballistics Calculator

Jon

I do not have a DOPE for 30MOA, not sure how to do that.

No chronograph

Between 9 and 10 MOA sounds about right.

But, you should verify your scope height (center of tube to center of bore).

It won't make a huge difference at 500yds. But as you reach out farther, it'll begin to make a notable difference.

-- richard

Between 9 and 10 MOA sounds about right.

But, you should verify your scope height (center of tube to center of bore).

It won't make a huge difference at 500yds. But as you reach out farther, it'll begin to make a notable difference.

-- richard

not sure if im doing it right, but heres my calculations:

47'' of bullet drop
47/1.25 (click value at 500yards)= 37.6 clicks
OR

37.6(clicks)/4 (#of clicks to equal 1 MOA)= 9.4 MOA

Its not a time consuming as it seems, I calculate this in around 10-20 seconds. Does this forumula seem correct?

Bulletdrop
Click value =Actual Clicks

Actual Clicks
4 =Total MOA of elevation needed

Do you have an iPhone or an ipod touch?

If so, download iStrelok for free. You can pick your reticle (yours is in there), enter your data, and see exactly what you're looking for. Very slick for a free program.

not sure if im doing it right, but heres my calculations:

47'' of bullet drop
47/1.25 (click value at 500yards)= 37.6 clicks
OR

37.6(clicks)/4 (#of clicks to equal 1 MOA)= 9.4 MOA

Its not a time consuming as it seems, I calculate this in around 10-20 seconds. Does this forumula seem correct?

Bulletdrop
Click value =Actual Clicks

Actual Clicks
4 =Total MOA of elevation needed

That's one way to get there.... 9.4 MOA was your answer. So, you would hold just above the 10 MOA vertical hash mark in your reticle. Or, dial up 9.5 Minutes.

Any of the calculators such as Bullet Flight will spit it out as fast as you can key it in. You can also print a range card in case your iPhone battery dies.

-- richard

Do you have an iPhone or an ipod touch?

If so, download iStrelok for free. You can pick your reticle (yours is in there), enter your data, and see exactly what you're looking for. Very slick for a free program.

x2 It is also on the Android market. Very user friendly.

Set up a milk jug full of water and shoot at it......once you can hit that milk jug then you will know where to hold!

lol thats def a way to figure it out, trial and error.

Can anyone just pick up there rifle and shoot 800 yards with no adjustment other than holding high? Id be impressed, thats for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.