Reticle level - bad eyes

Mike300wby

Ok, I got a good one -meaning strange one for you.

I have leveled my rifle, leveled the scope, checked it with a plump Bob and know everything is square but when I look through scope the reticle does not look level but canted. My wife and son look through and say it is perfectly level.

I concluded that it was indeed me but can't figure out why.

I presented this issue to my eye doctor. Some background for you. I wear mono vision contact lenses where my left eye is adjusted for reading and my right eye is for longer distance vision.

My eye doctor dismissed it at first but then thought about it said maybe since I am looking through the scope with my distance lens eye that maybe the muscles in my eye are torquing my eye causing this condition in an effort to focus.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Mike

I have the bubble level on the gun but it is difficult looking through a scope that to me doesn't look level so my human nature is to cant gun to level reticle instead of checking the bubble level.

I have monovision contact lenses. So my left eye is my "short" eye and my right eye is my "long" eye. When I set up a scope, I make sure the gun is level with the world, then I level the scope to the gun. The last step is to mount a bubble level on the scope and level it to both the gun and the scope. I shoot with both eyes open. The bubble levels I use swing out to the side and are large enough that I can see it with my left eye at the same time that I'm looking through the scope with my right eye. As long as I'm confident that I'm directly behind the scope/gun as I should be, I get the bubble in the middle and send it, regardless of what my brain might think about the reticle being level or not with the ground. Hasn't failed me yet...

You have an astigmatism. I experience the very same thing. I thought people were crazy and I was right, nope.

All you can do is trust your bubble ID you know it's been set up right. Like flying IFR in a plane....trust your instruments.

BTW, drives me nuts too....just have to learn to deal with it

I compete in Long range 22 bench rest and we move from bench to bench for each stage and distance. I'm using an f-class style wide-stance bipod. I've noticed none of benches are totally level, nor are the target stands either. I have to adjust my bipod for each bench and some are a half bubble off. I can't detect it myself, not without my scope level. However, the top shooter I compete against can't see a scope level, it's too close for his old eyes. He shoots without a level and beats the pants off everyone, consistently and often by a huge margin, especially when the wind gets high and gusty with wind holds up to 8 mils. Don't know how he does it.

Ok, I got a good one -meaning strange one for you.

I have leveled my rifle, leveled the scope, checked it with a plump Bob and know everything is square but when I look through scope the reticle does not look level but canted. My wife and son look through and say it is perfectly level.

I concluded that it was indeed me but can't figure out why.

I presented this issue to my eye doctor. Some background for you. I wear mono vision contact lenses where my left eye is adjusted for reading and my right eye is for longer distance vision.

My eye doctor dismissed it at first but then thought about it said maybe since I am looking through the scope with my distance lens eye that maybe the muscles in my eye are torquing my eye causing this condition in an effort to focus.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Mike
I am as you! I have astigmatism and beginning cataracts. I try very hard not to mention shooting to my optometrist office, I try to differentiate that putting a puzzle together or something. As you, my right eye is at distance and left close. I have started to transition all my scopes to illuminated front focal.

You have an astigmatism. I experience the very same thing. I thought people were crazy and I was right, nope.

All you can do is trust your bubble ID you know it's been set up right. Like flying IFR in a plane....trust your instruments.

Just going to comment on the same thing. If I wear my glasses, problem solved. If I don't, drives me nuts but learned to shoot with it.

I had keratotomy (astigmatism correction) at the same time as cataract surgery in 2008. Pre-surgery I was 20/400 - extremely nearsighted - and terribly astigmatic. Post surgery, somewhere there was a ticked off 25-year-old cos I had his vision: 20/25 in my near eye and 20/15 for distance.

Astigmatism is now non-existent. Red dots are a dot insead of a disorted star. As for cataracts, I had my left (dominant) eye corrected for 'front sight' distance (a little more than arms length) & my non-dominant eye for infinity.

This works for instrument panels in vehicles & aircraft as well as handgun use. Outdoors, even with sunglasses, pupil contraction provides sufficient depth of field (like stopping down a camera lens) that the difference in sharpness between 'near' and 'far' eyes is barely perceptible & not bothersome. My brain automatically uses my 'non-dominant' eye for distance vision.

For reading fine print, details on camera lenses or other close work, a pair of readers in the +1.50 to 1.75 diopter range moves my focus zone from arms length to 8-12 inches. My favorites are Foster-Grant multi-focus reader. Get on their email list & get 'em for $17-20 each instead of $30+. A pair usually lasts me > a year before getting too scratched to use.

TL;DR: Astigmatism is, ime, easily correctable - and mine was severe. If you need cataract surgery, you may be able to have it done at the same time. Consult with a qualified opthamologist or cataract surgeon. They may be able to help you. After wearing corrective lenses since age 10, at my present age of 74 I've enjoyed the best vision of my life for the last 15 years with combined astigmatism correction & cataract surgery.

Recent Posts