Reticle choice - vortex viper

teampete

Hey all, I have recieved a lot of help from everyone on this forum and I really appreciate it. I have chosen my scope as a vortex viper 6-20x44. My budget is low so this will be a great starter scope. I believe the optical quality of these scopes compares to a conquest.

Anyways, I need help choosing a reticle. My two choices are the mil dot or the dead hold BDC reticle. I am little worried the mil dot reticle is too busy?? I really dont plan on using the mil dots for elevation as I will install a custom turet or just use the target turets. I do think the mil dots would be nice for windage though. I plan on learning the mildot and using them for windage on long shots. Would I be better off going with the dead hold bdc reticle? Please give me your input. I have never used a mil do scope.

My experience with using mils and even half mil dots in my scope for wind holds has been that it is not near as accurate as dialing in the windage turret. I am very interested in the moa reticle in the PST as it is one of few that offer 1moa subtensions on the wind bar but am disappointed they only offer it in SFP. I am a fan of FFP but want the precision of 1moa wind holds.

I do suggest you get the mil ret. only if you are going to have mil turrets or moa ret. for moa turrets.

I went with the Dead hold bdc because its less busy and I like that the marks are in MOA which are consistant with the adjustments. The windage marks are given in MOA but I believe they are true mils. I figure after 11.5 MOA I should be dialing for longer shots anyway so the three marks were enough and dont clutter the scope up, just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.