Reticle choice )or not)

G

I have what is a great deal on a Nikon 5.5 - 16-5 UCC Monarch. I want to use it on my new 22-250 Varmit rig. Question

It's the Nikoplex reticle...Will I be at a disadvantage with this reticle? Is ball plex or varmit reticle or mill dot the must have in this situation?

Thanks

joe

If the scope has target turrets, you can click up and down for the different ranges. The only downside is the reticle might be a little thick for a dog at extended ranges. A fine crosshair or target dot is what I prefer for 600-1000yard varminting.

The Nikoplex reticle will be OK for out to 300-400 yards or so. The reticle is a basic duplex reticle, much like the Zeiss Conquest Z Plex.

There are no target knobs on this scope. But, adjustments are easily acquired with the finger turrets, and the adjustments are very accurate.

I think you will be fine, especially with a 22-250 rig.
wink.gif
That is a great scope, and I have no doubt that you will love it...sakofan..

The center crosshair on the UCC Monarch 3.5-10 illuminated Nikoplex is very fine (maybe 1/4 min or less)you can see most of a 1 moa diamond @ 100yds. On red light it appears to me to get fatter, but on green is still very crisp. It is on a home built 7mm-08 that I use where backstop is limited, so I haven't cranked the knobs (covered) up and down to check repeatability. Otherwise I believe it would be very good out to 600 yds, even at only 10x. It's a good light gatherer, with adequate eye relief. I use it un-lit in decent light, and am very satisified. I'm guessing the reticle is the same as the unlit scope. I think you'll like yours, especially with the higher power.

Pickt up a 5.5x16.5 Monarch with intentions of putting it on the 7mag but it didnt have enough eye relief.It was then put on a couple different prairie dog guns but at the time I was a big fan of the Leupold dot and hated the x hair design.Had it sold a couple of times but it was returned for ring marks.Needed a scope for the Hbar AR upper and it was the only extra scope I had laying around.It has proven to be a great scope!@ 5.5x you can **** near see in the dark with it and @ 16.5x it works good for prairie dogs once I figured out the center of the reticle is 4MOA,2 up and 2 down.Makes shooting prairie dogs easy money to 325 yards.
I still prefer the MP8 or R2 for a long range reticle but the Nikoplex works great to 325yards and up close in low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.