reticle choice for hunting

Niles Coyote

For the purpose of hold-overs, wind holds and judging antler spread/body size in combination with a laser rangefinder. What do you find the easiest to use in the hunting field, moa or a mil based reticle.

Leupold Boone & Crocket works well for me. Just play your ballistics and field check it . My 25 x 284 i actually gain around 40 yards on each hash.
Mike

I got a burris 3x9x40 with there ballistic plex. Nice scope realy like it. But with ageing eyes I have a hard time seeing the small ones 200 thought 500 with out my readers on. It is on a .06. I just picked up this cheep bushnell banner with there circle X has no range compensating but I needed a scope fast for the new 7mm rem mag I got 3 days before deer opener. (gota like that) Having that circel with a fine cross hair is realy nice and fast handling. Its realy got me thinking about that new nikon coyote special http://www.nikonhunting.com/riflescopes-coyote-special-coyote-special-3-9x40-max-1.html

Last edited:
I am using the NP-R2 reticle in my nightforce scopes. really like this reticle as there is less 'clutter' than my previous mil-dot reticles or the NP-R1. I also use a Leupold MK4 with the MLR reticle. I find it ok but really prefer the NP-R2 of the NF.

I just got a NF- NPR-1 in a 5.5x 22 and love it. I cant understand why everyone thinks it is that busy. Cant wait to see the new balistic reticle there coming out with.
mike

Currently run a Nikko Sterling 6~24x44 with a LRX reticle & a Leupold 8.5~24x50 with the Varmint Hunter reticle. I do not find either particularly cluttered.

I was using the Nikko Sterling on my Savage 16FSS 223 Rem for F Class & had to use the holdover to get me to 700 yards [ran out of elevation adjustment]. Actually was one of my better shoots...maybe because I had to concentrate harder:)

MOA seems easier to me. Fan of the NPR1 reticle. MIL works just fine if you work to understand that too-- 1yd at 1000yds, 1m at 1000 meters, 3.6" at 100yd. Just seems to me that 1" essentially = 1MOA at 100yds and 10" = 1 MOA at 1000yds, 12" = 1 MOA at 1200yds seems quicker and easier to compute. Carlock uses MOA for that reason, I believe. Check out his longrange hunting video (if you haven't already) at defensiveedge.net. jon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts