Rethinking the SGK

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tlk, Jan 10, 2011.

1. tlk

tlk Well-Known Member

I have been using the 165 SGK this year in my 30-06 at (2900 fps at barrel) and have had the same results I have heard - massive wound channels, not holding together, etc. Been able to take game at 100, 200 and 300 yards with the bullet and after this last deer I am wondering if I have been thinking this bullet is something other than what it was designed for. As a reference, Berger's hunting bullet is advertised as shedding as much as 80% of its weight, and the 165 SGK does that on everything I have shot except coyotes. So, given that they act similarly, that make me wonder that maybe I have been using the bullet incorrectly, expecting performance at those relatively shot distances like a bonded bullet, which it isn't. But I have also retrieved one bullet I shot at 700 yards and it was a perfect mushroom. So is it a true long range bullet only, with limited application at short range? It appears that the bullet is pure gold on deer and hogs as long as the shot is in the head, neck or broadside in the ribs - away from any meat. Each time for me has been a small entry and a massive wound channel and a DRT animal with huge bruising/cavities on the exit - very dramatic and decisive. The bullet is not a good choice for quartering shots at shorter ranges - at all. Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track with this conclusion from my experiences? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011