RETİCAL selection for nightforce

soundwaves

lm buying a nightforce 8-32x56 but havebt made up my mind between the retical l want.
what retical should l get np-r1 or mill dot? or any other. help please. cause choosing a retical is verry important.

and another question. for hunting 8-32x56 or 12-42x56? was gonna go for the 12-42 but kind of scared that l will not be abel to find the animal easyly with that much power?

5.5x22x56 should be all you will ever need even out to a mile for most almost any hunting other than P-dogs. I prefer the NPR2, but can't say what would be best for you. I also prefer to have my turret and reticle in the same graduations so I would go MOA MOA. Once again just my opinion. I automatically revert to MOA cause that is the way I learned, some learned MILs first. While I am slowly coming around to the Mil system I still prefer MOA, but nobody will know what is best for you, other than yourself.

yeah l know the 5.5-22 will be just fine but with the 8-32 l can still shoot with the 22 or 24 zoom cant l. and if l wanna take a good look at the thing lm shooting at l can go 32 and see for shure lm shooting at the right target. yes?
gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

Save some money for a good pair of binoculars and possibly a spotting scope.

You will also need a really good range finder.

l have a leupold TBR 1000 ranger. zeiss benoculars. and l want a night force. hunting is what l love doing its kind of my way of life so instead of spending money on other stuff l spend it on hunting.
so nightforce it is 8-32x56 but what retical?

Well, you can always get a better rangefinder and a good spotting scope later.

I would go with a more compact scope and the NP-R2 because I am accustomed to working with MOA rather than MILs just as Eddybo stated.

What subtending system are you most comfortable with?

Making calculations and doing conversions in the field is a LOT more difficult than sitting at your computer and doing them.

Hence, I would also recommend shooting your rifle and collecting drop data for the actual ammo and environmental conditions you'll be hunting in and having custom BDC turrets made. Kenton Industries

If you hunt a wide range of altitudes and temperature, you may need more than one set of turrets.

If you're not already familiar with that system, you should study up on the Huskemaw scopes and their methodology. Even if you think their product isn't up to your standards, the methodolgy is very practical. ...especially if you hunt without a good spotter to help you range, dope the wind, and calculate scope adjustments.

--richard

Last edited:
Speaking of reticals, one of the threads here recently had a link to the new NF reticals coming soon. I did a search and checked NFs sight and couldn't find them. Anyone know where it is?

To me... the G7 doesn't seem as high grade as the NSX... but that just me
you can find it on " YouTube"
G7 Rifle Scope build by Nightforce Overview
Nightforce Optics -- New Options for 2011
Cork's Outdoors TV @ ShotShow 2010 Nightforce Optics Velocity Reticle
this is all the info i could find on the net
but when i have a question about nightforce i just call my rep in Calgary Canada

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts