Resurrection of the .308 & upping the game

45.5grs of Varget 165gr bullet
20170818_132207.jpg

I do pretty well with cheap Speer 165grain BoatTail Soft Point (BTSP) with light load (42.5grain) of Varget in annealed Lake City brass. I get 3/4MOA at 2530fps.

For serious hunting I switch to 165grain Nosler Accubond with 44.5grains Varget in annealed Lapua brass. That also gets me 3/4MOA at 2690fps.

That's with 22-inch factory (browning) barrel and 1-12 twist, and brass bumped to 1thou clearance to headspace with very little runout. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
If it's not too late, since your trying a new load, look at the Hornady 165 gr. SST bullet.
I now use it in my 308 strictly. I use 46.5 grains of Varget (this is my personal load, use in yours at your own risk....bla bla bla) and it's a tack driver out of my Henry Lone Ranger. Start out lower say 45 grains and work up.

Thanks all. I have plenty of Varget and RL-15 on hand, even some IMR-4350 that I use a lot in the .243s. I too, know folks that love the FGMM factory stuff and shoot it religiously. No doubt, the .308 is very forgiving to reload for and always loves you back. Now I feel bad about my fling with the 6.5s. I think I'm going to give the ELD-Ms a try or maybe a Berger hybrid. I just bore sighted the Vortex and will get her on paper.
I think you'll love the results of the Hornady or Berger Hybrid. I did some loads up for a friends Savage 308. VV N160 gave real good Prcision and accuracy.

The 130 TTSX bullet, Lapua case, 46.5 Benchmark and a Fed 210M will produce .35moa at 400 yds in my rifle. Velocity is 3,150 ft/sec.
That's true I bet. I'm currently working on a very similar load for my Sako Finnlight in 6.5CM. 127gr pill, Alpha brass and Fed 205 primer. Can't remember the BENCHMARK powder off hand.

Which model 700 do you have ? Just wondering because I have a Mapul Hunter stock sitting in the close for the past 2 years and I want to set up a a 20 inch, something I can carry in the mountains..
It was the sps tactical. 20"barrel with 1:12 twist, not the 1:10aac version. I would not want to lug it around the mountains. With scope it's easily pushing 11-12 pounds.

My newest 308 load
Nice to see some Real World velocities listed. I as well....have found new passion with a 308 I dug out of the back of the safe. I often put it away once I pull out the Chrono or strap the Magneto to the barrel. I really have to stand on it to crack 2700 in a 20" tube with 168. Best accuracy shows up 2550-2650. And I pout and put it away....as every internet Shooter claims 2700 with 208 Amaxs, etc.

FWIW...I utilized the 308/130TTSX combo exclusively for a season. Think I did 3 WT, maybe 3 antelope, a bear and coyote with the load. Penetration was impressive for certain. It's more of a Giant Killer bullet. The 'lopes were a little too thin and svelte for such a round. Black Bear was impressed. And Coyote was B-Hole to throat exit after busting me at the call at 12 yards and took him Out Bound.

Nice All-Around load for anything lower 48 in a Pinch. I should revisit it again. But we are only afforded one tag in WA and one if I do non res MT or ID. The lowly 308 sits patiently in the safe while the newest, flashiest thingy goes for a walk.

I'm definitely more interested in accuracy rather than velocity - I think accuracy of my loads are only limited by my skills as a shooter. And I choose .308 because it's strong enough for reliable DRT on big hogs, but not so fast that it destroys a lot of meat.

The 130 TTSX bullet, Lapua case, 46.5 Benchmark and a Fed 210M will produce .35moa at 400 yds in my rifle. Velocity is 3,150 ft/sec.
My son shot the same bullet on his cow Elk! Facing towards him slightly quartering. I told him to wait until the animal turned broadside. After a 5 minute stare down at 90 yards I was the one that got nervous and told him to shoot! I had the Lad put the cross hair on its neck just forward of the quartering shoulder. The Elk dropped in her tracks and that bullet entered the left side chest neck and exited just forward of the right ham! unbelievable penetration. Powder was BLC-2

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts