Resurrecting Grandfather's Gun

frogfan

All,

I would appreciate any advice or opinion regarding the resurrection of my grandfather's mule deer rifle. I came to posses this rifle upon my grandfathers passing many years ago and have finally decided to do something with it. The rifle is a 60's vintage Remington 700 BDL in 300WM. While not abused the gun was well used in the New Mexico and Colorado mountains. This is not going to be a go to rifle for me as I am left-handed and the rifle is right, but I have every intention of using it occasionally as a tribute to my grandfather. If fact, I am in the process of scheduling a late winter Nilgai hunt where I intend to this rifle.

After cleaning the rifle and giving it an additional inspection I took it to Alamo Precision Rifles and had the below work completed.
  • Cerakote barreled action in Graphite Black, leaving the bolt and iron sights uncoated. The jeweling on the bolt was still very much intact and looked good.
  • Clean up and adjust trigger.
  • Reinstall factory iron sights.
  • Engraved my grandfathers name through Cerakote on barrel.
I am very happy with the results and am now looking to restock the gun and get some glass on it. I have contemplated HS, McMillan and Grayboe stocks, but am leaning towards HS or Grayboe to save a little money since this will not be a primary hunting gun. I find the dark brown color Grayboe very appealing but am undecided on the Outlander or Terrain.

I am also undecided on optics but generally feel a BDC type scope may be the best compliment to leaving the iron sights in tact. I have had good luck previously with the Zeiss HD5 scopes and RZ reticles considering the reasonable price point. One point of concern I have is an possible issues with scope mounting due to the iron sights? I have generally used Talley lightweight rings in the past and planned to use them on this project.

Again, any advice or opinion is appreciated and I would be interested in seeing any photos of revived rifles or scoped rifles with iron sights.

Thank you,

Clint

Attachments

• REM 700 - HAS.jpg
    REM 700 - HAS.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 193
Well if it were me, I wouldn't do anymore than you've already done, other than add a scope. But in all honesty, you should follow your heart on it.

What you are doing with the rifle is highly personal, and if I were you, I'd do exactly what you want to make the rifle usable and appealing to you in honor of your grandfather.

Had the same dilemma with a 57 year old 300 Weatherby that was passed down to me. It was my only hunting rifle for over a decade. I now have more accurate rifles including some I've had built. The Weatherby does not make it out of the safe often. I've considered having it re barreled and re stocked into a 338 lapua. After much thought I have decided to leave it as it has always been. If I change it too much it is no longer Papa Leo's gun. Now when I hold it or shoot it I'm reminded of him. Just my 2 cents.

If I was GIVEN a Grayboe stock, it wouldn't take long for me to place it in the "Classifieds" for sale! Very unhappy with the 2 examples I've had come through the shop.

I appreciate the responses. After looking at the photo again I agree the wood does look decent. However, the remainder of the stock is not in the same condition. This rifle was well used. I certainly prefer a synthetic stock on any of my new rifles but I do see the appeal of leaving this one with the original wood. Maybe a good oil refinish would do the trick.

Any advice on mounting a scope with the iron sights?

Thanks again.

I went through this with my grampa's pre 64 '06
I had a local gunsmith refinish the beat up stock without removing the few dings- the gun lived in my grampa's ranch truck.
The metal is still about 85% so i left it. Replaced the 4x lyman with a VX-3 4-14
When I take it out shooting i feel a great connection to my gramps
My oldest son will own it next

Frog, I rehabbed two of my grandfather's rifles and one that was a friend's dad's. Was very enjoyable to preserve these rifles once owned by loved ones. Perhaps you might consider refinishing the original stock. Would keep it original.

Man,
If I was passed down an heirloom rifle like that the last thing I'd want to do is scalp that original wood stock. To each his own, but you already robbed a lot of the soul and erased some of the stories by refinishing the metal, don't do it to the wood too. If you're dead set on spending money on it.... widen the barrel channel if the barrel isn't free floated, and bed the action in the stock. All internal work that isn't visible.

Regarding a scope.... did you grandpa hunt with iron sights? Because if he did you'd be a lot cooler if you did too.

So my grandfather had a model 721 that broke on him... something in the safety. So the fix was a new model 70 featherweight 30.06. The gun shop said, "that will be $150."..... in 1960.

After 50+ years of hunting, there was little bluing, no checkering remains. But... the 4x weaver that flipped over so you can use the iron sights was still there!

So... I was left with the question... what do i do with this wore out meatmaker?

Well... I needed a lightweight rifle for my arsenal... so I called one of my high school buddies who is an amazing gunsmith... and asked him if he would resurrect this tool!

It took some time... but now i have a super light... 280 Ackley... with a vx6 2-12x killing tool ready for action! It will be a go to rifle for so many hunts!... i am certain that my grandfather is turning in his grave wondering why i spent any money on a rifle that was "just fine if you hold over their back when they get out there a ways..."

Oh.... and the smith... thanks Dallas for keeping this killing machine alive! It is now a Lane Precision hammer! Weeks or less away from its first... 'new blood'....

Grandpa is riding on my shoulders... chomping at the bit for that old pre 64 to pick up where it left off....

It is great to see heirlooms that see a new life and will get used again. I know granpa will smile to see his rifle used again.
Remington 700 bdl and winchester mod 70 were classics then and even better today. When i was young the bdl cost 10.00 more than the adl. Lot of money then. Bdl was considered custom to people years ago

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.