Restoring 700 Bdl stock

Bob Wright

I have what was a beautiful Remington laquered stock. My brother swapped it out for a SPS stock.
It has a lot of wood dents, damage to the laquer finish and should have the embossed grip panels chased to clean up the dents there, basically redo them entirely.
Has anyone restored one of these and what is the process? I have steamed a few dents out of oil stained stocks but this has 20 places that need attention.
It has some sentimental value so I don't mind putting in the time this fall.
Thanks.

Hopefully Joel Russo will chime in. I've used his suggestions for wood finishing and he knows all the dope on this. YouTube videos on finishing with Tru-Oil as well. It's an enjoyable process, good luck.

I had one with 0 sentimental worth, so take this advice for what it costs you. I used 0000 steel wool with a light amount of auto rubbing compound. Did very gentle circular buffing strokes with it and wiped off and checked often. By moving carefully, I knocked down the glare and many of the dents and scratches were far less noticeable.

May be worth a shot before a total redo. Good luck either way.

Pictures of the dents/damage areas would help determine the best remedies to suggest. There are several different methods that may need to be employed to correct the damages.

I have repaired and refinished many walnut stocks over the years. All of my finishes for the past 30 years have been hand-rubbed boiled linseed oil. That really brings out the beauty of the walnut but, takes months to do properly.

Let's see what your working with and I'm sure the guys here can help.

Some photos. There are wood dents below the finish and a lot of abrasion.
20190614_160138.jpg
20190614_160128.jpg

Attachments

• 20190614_155952.jpg
    20190614_155952.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 447
  • 20190614_160034.jpg
    20190614_160034.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 20190614_160034.jpg
    20190614_160034.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 390
They don't look to bad.
The only thing is you will have to remover all the finish to be able to get those out anyway.
Just note in the vid what he did with the checkering!

I agree that refinishing is the answer to most of the issues but, some of those dings are deep and look to have cut/broken the wood fibers in places. Those are going to take some advanced lifting techniques, serious sanding and may still leave some small scars.

Bob Wright, I'm sending you a PM with my number to discuss the more advanced lifting techniques.

morning, as mentioned, go to youtube. the video's
will show the methods used to rid the stock
of dents. I did a modified stock two pieces of
wood joined together with dowel pins on my
6mmAI. the wood was not finished to my liking.
the application of tru oil covers up a lot of dents
thru applying and sanding. takes time. mine finished
very nicely. get the tru oil kit. has everything needed.
u can recut the checkering with the proper tools
from brownells. TIME and patiences sp.
justme gbot tum

Since y'all are discussing Rem BDL stocks, is there any, reasonably simple, way to remove that lacquer finish and convert one of these Rem BDL stocks to an oiled finish?

I have a pretty little Rem BDL stock on my 20-222 semi custom that I think would look much better if that glossy almost like it's a plastic outer layer finish, were removed and it just had a hand rubbed oil finish.

Maybe it would be more cost and work than the stock is worth. I'm certainly no wood guy, but if there is a simple way to remove that factory finish so I can give it an oil finish, I'd greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction as to how to go about it.

This is what it looks like now and maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would look better with an oil finish. Thoughts???
20-222 (2).jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.