Resizing help

Great
Just had a new 65284 built also...
The shoulder touched in the new chamber...
Increased the press to tolerate the brass to the new chamber by somewhat of an 1/8 turn...good to go...
But i also just ordered to boxes of lapua brass....
Should be good for life......maybe....might use it all up on zombies soon.....View attachment 183945
Wanted to try a proof barrel...and iota krux stock...trigger tech...will see how it goes.....also leups 6.5-20x50lrp....had the barrel ends cerakoted tungsten to match the proof...bolt handle tungsten...receiver and bdl darkened tungsten cerakote...and stainless screws and sling swivels to match the trigger and safety.....
Great looking rifle. My new barrel is a proof as well.
20200322_192040.jpg

I can assure you all reamers arent the same even though they may be the same caliber.
I had a reamer that was .003 under size at the .200 line needless to say I dont use that manufacturer and you can read were theres alot of other people with the same issues with this manufacturer. Do you blame the Smith if the reamer is not to spec?
Choose your reamer manufacturer's wisely

You may need a small base die or better yet have a sizing die made for your new chamber and then resize your old brass. if the old cases have expanded too wide and too close to the head you may end up having to dump the old brass.
Trust me...the small base will fix his brass so it will fit in his chamber. Once that's done to the old brass...he can use his normal die set like he intended in the first place.

I wish I could find my old thread...it started out with complaining about the barrel maker...like i said in my earlier post. I found out it was a common problem with the 6.5x284.

The small base die will save all his old brass!

If the old reamer was a Norma spec and the new reamer is a Winchester spec, the brass wont fit. Check with your smith, and if he used a 6.5-284 Winchester reamer, call Redding and ask for that sizer. I have both.

Last edited:
I didn't read every post but I know I went around and around with the maker of the barrel I used on my 6.5x284...Savage pre-fit.

I dont know why it seems that 6.5x284 is about the only bolt action chamber that has this issue. But I had to buy a small base die so I could use once fired brass in the chamber of my new barrel.

I told him I have been using once fired range brass in guns since the late 70's and never had any issue using once fired brass in many...many guns, but he insisted I could only use new brass.

Now if you find you have a tight neck...that's a whole different issue. One I've never had to deal with. I just talked to a guy who recently had a 6mm Creedmoor built that has to turn necks so his ammo will chamber smoothly.

I seen you were asking about a chambering that has a lot of issues with using brass from another chamber. When I bought my small base die, many people were sold out and I seen several different die makers sell small base dies for 6.5x284. I didn't notice many other cartridges even having small base dies....

You normally only see the use of SB dies with semi autos...
I had a similar problem with my Tikka T-3 in 270 WSM. I purchased the RCBS Small Base die set. What if you measure the cartridge base of a case fired from your rifle to one that is full sized. You may discover your problem. Is this a situation others may have experienced? Those with more knowledge and experience please chime in on my thoughts.

I had a similar problem with my Tikka T-3 in 270 WSM. I purchased the RCBS Small Base die set. What if you measure the cartridge base of a case fired from your rifle to one that is full sized. You may discover your problem. Is this a situation others may have experienced? Those with more knowledge and experience please chime in on my thoughts.

I am not affiliated with Manson.

Dave Manson Precision Reamers
8200 Embury Road Ph: 810-953-0732
Grand Blanc, MI 48439 Fax: 810-953-0735
THE BEST in the Business
6.5-284 vs 6.5-284 Win, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-284 Lapua
What's the difference?? There is none if we're talking about the standard
chamber. There is one chamber spec and it fits 6.5-284 ammo from the various
makers differently—it's in modifying the standard chamber to suit ammunition
from different makers that different names are used.
Ammunition from American makers is typically .004"-.005" smaller at the base
than the standard minimum chamber at the same point. European makers, on
the other hand, hold their brass closer to minimum chamber diameter.
If we modify the base diameter of a standard chamber reamer to suit 6.5-284
made from Winchester brass, the chamber it cuts may very well be too small to
accommodate Norma or Lapua brass. 6.5-284 cases made by Norma or Lapua
often require no modification to the standard 6.5-284 chamber for optimum fit.
Our standard 6.5-284 finish reamers will produce chambers that will accept any
6.5-284 ammunition. It's when you ask us to modify the tool to suit specific brass
that it becomes a 6.5-284 Norma or 6.5-284 Lapua or 6.5-284 Win.
Please call us if you have further questions.

Last edited:
I have had success with trimming the length of cases?. it could be a mm to long..

I agree, if the case is .040" to long from the end of the neck to the case head the bullet could have trouble getting out of the case.

When it comes to measuring more information can be gained by measuring the length of the case from the datum/shoulder to the case head. And then there is the diameter of the case body, I do not believe reloaders will ever get around to measuring that.

F. Guffey

I thought that measuring the case body had been mentioned . I do that to mine when I first shoot a new rifle to see what the chamber size is after firing the brass in it once then twice . just out of curiosity .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.