Resizing, before or after annealing

I guess if you let it glow orange long enough that would be a possibility. I have yet to see it myself either though.
The softer brass is, the more it's going to flow.
Not in the case of trimming or turning as you said before.... ooops I was there before butterbean ! LOL just a reminder, without a commentary.
The point is that working it hardens brass, annealing softens it.
Good point........ obviously others do it with success. I think it's a crackerjack of an idea to do it after sizing to fire form. Due to the fact that it may take a few times fitting brass to the chamber. Metal and other things take a bit more of persuasion. If you anneal, it's probably a good idea to find out how to do before you do it.

It's so easy to hikjack a thread..... sorry 1Mechanic

Last edited:
I anneal every firing.
But, here is where I differ from almost everyone else in this thread...I anneal AFTER FL sizing. But again, I anneal EVERY firing. So the amount of work hardening is minimal compared to a person who does not anneal every time.

Let's assume on a piece of fired brass.
Here is my process:
Quick tumble in walnut
FL size and deprime
Tumble clean in walnut
Trim/chamfer/deburr w. 3-way trimmer (if needed)
Anneal
Mandrel
Prime
Load
Shoot
Repeat

I anneal every firing.
But, here is where I differ from almost everyone else in this thread...I anneal AFTER FL sizing. But again, I anneal EVERY firing. So the amount of work hardening is minimal compared to a person who does not anneal every time.

Let's assume on a piece of fired brass.
Here is my process:
Quick tumble in walnut
FL size and deprime
Tumble clean in walnut
Trim/chamfer/deburr w. 3-way trimmer (if needed)
Anneal
Mandrel
Prime
Load
Shoot
Repeat
Thank you so much, I like to pop the primer and only pop the primers out frist, then clean, and so on, Thanks you so much again, no one really covers the stept process of when they anneal .

Some certainly do but I can't see where it should be necessary and could lead to even more problems such as extra trimming and neck turning.

That's the point though. If you are striving for low single digit SD and ES then you MUST anneal everytime. FYI, it doesn't lead to extra trimming and neck turning issues. I anneal every shot for thousands of rounds now and have not seen a trimming or neck turning issue versus annealing every 3-5

Its early, so please go slow and draw pictures for me. In your opinions, which is the proper sequence?
Fire, anneal, size, polish
Fire, size, anneal, polish
Fire, size, polish, anneal

to what point? after bump sizing it forms to the chamber. It's only gonna stretch so far...... if it's shoulder bumped then case head separation is a very nominal issue or not at all.