Resizing, before or after annealing

With my improved cases, I anneal before forming and then again before sizing.
Haven't lost a single case doing it this way….before doing this, depending on how much forming was necessary, I would lose between 1%-5% of cases from case splits and neck splits.
Hard brass doesn't like big changes.
I don't anneal all of my brass every firing, some don't need it for 3 firings.

Cheers.

No it wouldn't be wise to do it after resizing. I was just trying to get some people to think.

There was another thread were they were talking about the time and how much heat to anneal. In it they got on the subject of over annealing and making the brass too soft. Just resizing it should work harden it enough to bring it back to provide decent neck pressure. Some talked about making it dead soft where it wouldn't even stand up to resizing. I've never seen that but I guess it can happen.

No it wouldn't be wise to do it after resizing. I was just trying to get some people to think.

There was another thread were they were talking about the time and how much heat to anneal. In it they got on the subject of over annealing and making the brass too soft. Just resizing it should work harden it enough to bring it back to provide decent neck pressure. Some talked about making it dead soft where it wouldn't even stand up to resizing. I've never seen that but I guess it can happen.
I guess if you let it glow orange long enough that would be a possibility. I have yet to see it myself either though.

Some certainly do but I can't see where it should be necessary and could lead to even more problems such as extra trimming and neck turning.

The softer brass is, the more it's going to flow.
so since you use the word could instead of will, means that it hasn't happened to you. And as far as leading to trimming and neck turning it doesn't. The only time I had to trim is when I used to completely FL size. Once I began to partially FL or better called shoulder bump I don't have to trim or turn necks. Turn necks once and that's it. The only time I have to trim is loading for my M1 GARAND

so since you use the word could instead of will, means that it hasn't happened to you. And as far as leading to trimming and neck turning it doesn't. The only time I had to trim is when I used to completely FL size. Once I began to partially FL or better called shoulder bump I don't have to trim or turn necks. Turn necks once and that's it. The only time I have to trim is loading for my M1 GARAND
How many times have you been here before ?

Recent Posts