Resize cases first then anneal or the other way around?

One other thing.

Depending on the brand and age of many cases, I have found that during the brass crunch, many case manufactures did not do a final anneal to save money and expedite sales.

I bought some brass that split on the first firing and when I did a Brinell test, they showed no anneal was performed.

So Unless you can see the heat signature of the anneal, I recommend annealing all cases no mater how many firings they have on them.

Just my recommendation

J E CUSTOM

One other thing.

Depending on the brand and age of many cases, I have found that during the brass crunch, many case manufactures did not do a final anneal to save money and expedite sales.

I bought some brass that split on the first firing and when I did a Brinell test, they showed no anneal was performed.

So Unless you can see the heat signature of the anneal, I recommend annealing all cases no mater how many firings they have on them.

Just my recommendation

J E CUSTOM

A worthwhile observation. A perhaps even more worthwhile observation is that if you buy commercially-loaded ammunition, and the necks split on the first firing because the manufacturer did not anneal the brass, then never again buy from that manufacturer. Any manufacturer of a product like ammunition, the malfunction of which can cause death, who would intentionally sacrifice the safety of its customers in exchange for shorter time of production, does not belong in the business. Ever.

@Roughwater not to repeat what they have said but the reason why you anneal first is because your wanting to soften the brass before sizing to promote case life. If you size before annealing you are working the brass in its hardest state negativity affecting what your trying to accomplish. Good purchase. Those are nice machines
Absolutely anneal before for the reasons stated. the whole reason for annealing the brass is to soften it making it more malleable. Yes good choice on the annealeze I have one love it.

Anneal then resize, the metal suffers slight deformation during the annealing process.
This^^^^^^

Having worked with metal all my life, I've seen it warp out of shape when heated. So to be sure everything is still concentric...I feel it needs to be sized after annealing!

I've felt plenty of annealed cases feel different when sized so I'm sure some loose proper runout after annealing.

I don't feel a lot of difference in resizing my cases after annealing vs before annealing because I use custom dies that size minimally but I do notice a big difference when seating bullets. I use a K&M arbor press with the standard force pack. When I start seeing a difference in seating pressure it might be a sign that I need to anneal. I am in the every 3rd or 4th firing tribe

A worthwhile observation. A perhaps even more worthwhile observation is that if you buy commercially-loaded ammunition, and the necks split on the first firing because the manufacturer did not anneal the brass, then never again buy from that manufacturer. Any manufacturer of a product like ammunition, the malfunction of which can cause death, who would intentionally sacrifice the safety of its customers in exchange for shorter time of production, does not belong in the business. Ever.

I hear you but, if you cant get any other brass in the cartridge you need, it is easy to anneal before you run into problems. I found many company's guilty of this practice and still do.

We use to like brass nice and shiny before we knew the value of annealing and realized the beauty in the heat signature of annealed cases. besides, annealing new cases correctly can improve case life even more, rather than waiting for 3 or 4 firings to anneal and using uo some number of firings of the case.

The other plus of the first anneal is better fire forming and truing of the case in the chamber if prepped properly. So why wait.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.