replacing plastic stock on Rem 700

The SPS stock is absolute GARBAGE! Been there done that trying to use one with a bipod. Changed my POI by 6" at 100 yards. You can actually see the stock flex at the area of the mag well. The material is so thin there and there's nothing you can do about it. I gounged out the forearm and filled it with epoxy before I realized all I was doing was making a stiffer lever to flex the stock at the magazine. No way to keep the barrel free floated and use a bipod or any rest out towards the end of the forearm. Bottom line is there was no way to be consistent with the stock flexing like that.

Any nice stiff stock will be night and day better than that tupperware garbage. Free floating it most likely will not kill your accuracy at all. If the rare chance it does you can play around with shims to find a pressure point that works. That is as long as your new stock is stiff and stays constant.

I've always said you buy an SPS for the action and to have a barrel and stock to shoot on day one before upgrades can be purchased.

I just installed the B&C Alaskan II. I was surprised to see it had the two "humps" on the front of the stock like the factory stock which causes the barrel to make contact there. Reading Stockys instructions say to just shoot. Is that common with B&C stocks for Rem700?

Should I just leave it and see how it shoots? Going to be a while for some snow and ice to melt.

jjw
ND

try it before sanding them out would be the prudent approach.

all rifles are their own beast, some like a little pressure on the barrel, some do not.

I've always heard the pressure pads are there on factory stocks as a quick fix option. If the gun won't shoot a smith or the factory can quickly knock down the high spots and see if it "fixes" the problem.

I just installed the B&C Alaskan II. I was surprised to see it had the two "humps" on the front of the stock like the factory stock which causes the barrel to make contact there. Reading Stockys instructions say to just shoot. Is that common with B&C stocks for Rem700?

Should I just leave it and see how it shoots? Going to be a while for some snow and ice to melt.

jjw
ND

I have one Rem. Model 78 308 that likes the forearm pressure on the barrel. I even Glass Bedded the forearm bumps on this rifle. I would shoot the gun with the bumps in contact with the barrel. If it does not satisfy you, try this. Make enough layers of aluminum shims out of pop cans and shim the action up till the barrel is off the bumps. If shimming off the barrel contacts gives better accuracy, Then remove the bumps and free float the barrel. It will just take some experimentation to find the rifles Happy Spot. Good Luck in this adventure.

Good idea to ship up the action to test if floating is a benefit. Cant add the bumps back once they would have been sanded off.

Will see what this season brings.

Had really good luck with Berger VLD in my 7mm and would like to try the 115 VLD in this 25-06. I hope the bullet supply catches up this summer so they become available. Otherwise the go to factory load in this gun is Winchester Silver tips.

Thanks again for the advice.

jjw
ND

I went with a laminated wood stock for my 22-250. Aint no way your going to warp that critter. I did make sure the barrel channel was clear of the barrel full length and then used polyurethane in the channel to seal it good

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.