Replacing my Tac15i Stock - How?

skidrow802

Greetings! I am new to this board. I'm also new to owning a Tac15i. Not new to crossbow hunting (I've hunted whitetails for 4 yrs with an Excalibur Exomax and killed 4 respectable bucks). I Just recently purchased a Tac15i from Len and after shooting 100+ shots, I could not find a comfortable position where I could consistently shoulder the crossbow and have my scope come up with clarity. (I should mention I have a longer than average arm length). So I decided to buy a MAKO aftermarket AR15 Replacement Stock- It has a cheek riser and I think it may be of help with my anchor point. Now, here is my problem: It looks like you need a specific spanner-type wrench to remove the butt of the stock. It's threaded into the receiver but it's locked in place by a ring. Does anyone know what I need for a tool to remove the stock? Any help is much appreciated!

Do you own a TAC15 or TAC15i? The TAC15 is the model designed to be interchangeable with an AR15 lower. The TAC15i has a proprietary, integrated stock and will not simply interchange with an AR lower.

I have the Tac15i. It appears the stock is removable but I am not about to find out it isn't unless I know for sure. Thanks

Hi Skidrow802,
I had exactly the same problem back when I bought my TAC15i. I solved the problem in two ways. The first thing I did was to purchase an extended AR15 Buttstock with a six position tube to get some extra distance between my shoulder and the stock. Secondly, I swapped out the stock Accushot 3X - 12X power scope for the same unit except in a compact version from Leaper's.

The stock scope uses a long eye relief (4.5") and therefore puts your head to far back on the stock. The compact version is only 10.5" long and uses a standard 3" eye relief, so it's much more balanced to these crossbows.

When changing out the Buttstock PSE does not use an adhesive of any sort on the locking ring which attaches the Buttstock Tube to the crossbow, so no special tools are needed and it can be swapped out in a matter of minutes.

I also purchased a raised cheek rest for my Buttstock. This insures consistent alignment from your eye to the scope each time you shoulder the crossbow. It will greatly improve your alignment accuracy. These check rests are about $30 thru Cabela's.

Jon Henry

jon.henry755

Thanks for the info. With regard to the ring that covers part of the treads on the tube (that connects the butt stock to the receiver), does that pull away or twist off by hand?

Hi Skidrow802,
I used to know what the proper term for each of the two rings is, but over time I've forgotten, so let's just call one the wider ring and the other the skinny ring.

1. First, fully extend your Buttstock to the open position, so it's not in your way.

2. You must loosen the wider ring first. This can easily be done by using a set of channel locks or wide pliers, but I'd recommend placing a cloth or sponge rubber material around the ring, so as not to scratch the surface of the ring.

3. Once this is off you should be able to easily unscrew the skinny inner ring and then unscrew the extension tube from the lower unit of the crossbow.

4. The synthetic stock is released from the extension tube by simply using the release lever that you use to extend and retract the Buttstock. Pull it in the opposite direction you use to open the stock while sliding the stock off the tube. If the lever is pulled open far enough, your stock will slide off the extension tube.

These steps are only good for the TAC15i, they will not work for a regular TAC15 because the true AR15's have other steps that need to be performed and the wider ring has its threads locked by the manufacture using a type of lock-tite adhesive. A special tool is made for loosening these rings.

Jon

I am enlightened! I didn't realize you could change to after market stocks with the 15i. Just out of curiosity.... why did you guys go for the 15i rather than the 15 given you are using after market AR stocks?

Hi BillyTell,
We're using after market Buttstocks only and these are sold by many different company's such as Brownell's Gun Parts, Midway and to many others to even count.

It was never my intent to change the Buttstock on my TAC15i. I only started looking into it after I ran into the problem of the manufactures stock not fitting my shoulder when I would attempt to look through the scope that came with the PSE TAC15i Package. The scope uses a long eye relief of 4.5 inches, which pushes your head further back on the stock. This left at least a 1 inch gap between my shoulder and the stock, when the buttstock was fully extended.

Maybe we should talk about how to properly position a scope for a shooters eye, then everybody can determine if they are comfortable with their own set up?

1. Generally, it's recommended that you place your scope upon your mounting rails, but do not tighten any screws that would lock it in place.

2. Next, Close your eyes and shoulder your rifle or crossbow with your cheek in it's most comfortable position against the stock or cheek rest.

3. Now open your eyes without moving your head and look through the scopes eye piece. Do you have a full clear picture through the eye piece or are your edges darkened?

4. If anything is darkened or not visible then you need to move the scope forward or backward on its base, to support your visual needs.

5. If this can't be accommodated by the mounting rail, due to not enough space, then you will need to change either the eye relief distance, the length of your Buttstock or both.

I learned later that I could have changed out just my scope to a shorter eye relief and it would have solved my problem, but I ended up doing both and love the custom fit and feel that I now have. Adding an inexpensive cheek rest also makes for a more comfortable, more consistent alignment each time you shoulder your weapon.

Jon

Hi BillyTell,
We're using after market Buttstocks only and these are sold by many different company's such as Brownell's Gun Parts, Midway and to many others to even count.

It was never my intent to change the Buttstock on my TAC15i. I only started looking into it after I ran into the problem of the manufactures stock not fitting my shoulder when I would attempt to look through the scope that came with the PSE TAC15i Package. The scope uses a long eye relief of 4.5 inches, which pushes your head further back on the stock. This left at least a 1 inch gap between my shoulder and the stock, when the buttstock was fully extended.

Maybe we should talk about how to properly position a scope for a shooters eye, then everybody can determine if they are comfortable with their own set up?

1. Generally, it's recommended that you place your scope upon your mounting rails, but do not tighten any screws that would lock it in place.

2. Next, Close your eyes and shoulder your rifle or crossbow with your cheek in it's most comfortable position against the stock or cheek rest.

3. Now open your eyes without moving your head and look through the scopes eye piece. Do you have a full clear picture through the eye piece or are your edges darkened?

4. If anything is darkened or not visible then you need to move the scope forward or backward on its base, to support your visual needs.

5. If this can't be accommodated by the mounting rail, due to not enough space, then you will need to change either the eye relief distance, the length of your Buttstock or both.

I learned later that I could have changed out just my scope to a shorter eye relief and it would have solved my problem, but I ended up doing both and love the custom fit and feel that I now have. Adding an inexpensive cheek rest also makes for a more comfortable, more consistent alignment each time you shoulder your weapon.

Jon

Good information. Thanks Jon!

This should be another TIP or Sticky.

I know a few Gun Hunters that could benefit from this. But I ain't helping them compete with my bow. :rolleyes:

Hi OkiewBowie,
I love you for your candid input and your observations, but if it makes you feel any better, they can never compete with us, because no matter what they do, they can never be as quiet or as invisible as we can be.

There's a great deal to be said for stealth!!!

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.