Replacement for rl-26 7mm rem mag

So apparently rl-26 has fallen off the face of the earth. Which is a shame because I had a great load worked up for my rifle. Anyhow, what would be a good replacement that would give me decent velocity and fairly stable? I shoot in anywhere from below 0 to 85 degrees depending on the time of year. I used to run rl-22 and it gave me great results, but I've read its unstable. Powders on my list of possibilities that I can get local are rl-22, rl-25, h1000, and retumbo. Will be shooting 162-180 class bullets.
Try Vihtavouri N570

I had to back order rl 26. I dont when it will come in. From what I have read imr 8133 should be solid for temp stability and velocity. But I haven't tried it yet. H1000 is very good but you won't get the same velocities imo.

I use H1000 in my 7RM under 180 Hybrids. I get 2996fps with a load that is not max in my rifle. And it is 2996fps from 0* to 110*+. I can get 3050fps, but the ridiculous accuracy is at 2996.
RL23 is a great choice for 160-168gr. bullets too in the 7RM. Better speeds by a bit. And I have found it to be pretty temp stable too. I run it in my .280AI under a 175 Elite Hunter @ 2975fps. That is a fairly hot load, but still no pressure signs.

N565 or IMR 8133..... Both are highly stable. 8133 may be a bit slow, sometimes the ES's can be a bit erratic but worth a shot.
N565 for me is working awesome in the 300 PRC S.I. , 30-06 and 7mm SS.

Has anyone tried the Alliant Magpro? I read good things about it on here a few months back. I have some but have not tried it in 7mm. Just asking, that's all.

I've used RL 22, Retumbo, IMR 7977, and most recently IMR 8133 in a 7RM using the 175 Nosler ABLR. Very impressed with 8133. Velocities are similar to Retumbo but seems to shoot a lot cleaner. I was getting a lot of carbon fowling with the Retumbo. Been able to produce great groups with all of them but I think IMR 8133 or possibly the 7977 should be similar in burn rate and temp stability as RL 26. Someone else can chime in here and dial in on burn rate comps. Both IMR powders advertise the same copper fowling agents like in the RL 26. I haven't tested 7977 as extensively in my 7RM because it was a pound of powder my father had bought for me to load his 270, so I just dabbled with a few charges. Had a screamer of a load found for 8133 anyway so I didn't feel the need to fuss with it. Velocities in the 270 however, with 7977 is impressive. I've found them to be very temp stable but I don't have recorded data to support. After all that rambling, I suggest trying out either IMR 7977 or IMR 8133.

Here go:
https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/burn-rate-color.pdf

If you go on line there is a powder burning chart. You should be able to ID a powder close to RL26. Then go to Alliant's reloading page and look at what they show for a load for that powder. Or go to Hodgdon and their reloading page, and the powders there. Lots of free expert advice out there on line.

Not seeing any burn rate charts that include rl-26. Looks like rl-25 or imr 7828 are going to be fairly close. I've heard 7828 is temp sensitive though. I'm probably over thinking this alittle and should just take one and run with it

So apparently rl-26 has fallen off the face of the earth. Which is a shame because I had a great load worked up for my rifle. Anyhow, what would be a good replacement that would give me decent velocity and fairly stable? I shoot in anywhere from below 0 to 85 degrees depending on the time of year. I used to run rl-22 and it gave me great results, but I've read its unstable. Powders on my list of possibilities that I can get local are rl-22, rl-25, h1000, and retumbo. Will be shooting 162-180 class bullets.
Reloader 22 is a great powder in a 7 mag. I have run it for a long time in both of my 7's. I use one for hunting and one for long shooting, but recently I changed powders in the long range 7 to retumbo it seems to burn at a more stable rate and I can put more powder in the case. In the hunting rifle I use 63 grains behind a 150 gr Sierra gameking. The range rifle shoots 67 grains of retumbo behind a 180 gr Sierra match king. So either of the two powders would do well I believe.

Recent Posts