Replacement for rl-26 7mm rem mag

Nothing notable.
I've seen non-scientific estimates of 1fps per degree but no information on what case density/ percent case full was used for the test.
I have the hornady 4dof app and theres a load set in there where if you want you can chose a powder they have tested and it will adjust for velocity swings depending on the temp you input. According the them it has a temperature sensitivity factor of .79. H1000 and rl-22 both run about .5. Not sure how accurate those are but .79 doesnt seem that bad. I think retumbo was like .16 or something like that.

I've heard really good things about h1000. Just looking at load data it didnt seem like it would get all that close to rl-26.
That may be what the data says, but according to Alliants Reloder 26 data, you can't get more than 3,051 fps from your 7mm mag and a 162, yet you were running it at 3125. The Hodgdon data also doesn't list a 162 a-max or eld-m/x, it lists a spbt, and also shows only 20 fps and .5 grains less with the 180 vld than a 162 spbt....that doesn't really add up. In my humble opinion, their 162 spbt is old, diluted data. I would try H1000....it will be close enough in speed it won't make any significant difference, and it is certainly one of the more stable powders around. Just my opinion though, I'm the guy with access to a bunch of Reloder 26 ha ha!!

I've had excellent results with H1000 and 168 VLDH and 168 CH, though I load them light at 63.0. driving them at 2750 if memory serves me well. Under .5 MOA accuracy at 500 yards. Gotta love the high BC of the Bergers. Don't worry, RL26 will return to a shelf near you. These supply shortages always get resolved. RL26 was discovered by the 6.5 CM shooters, a lot of whom reload. They (or should I say "we") made H4350 disappear for a while too. Varget was it for a while as well. Buy an 8lber when you find what you want, which should bridge you to the next time it's available.

So apparently rl-26 has fallen off the face of the earth. Which is a shame because I had a great load worked up for my rifle. Anyhow, what would be a good replacement that would give me decent velocity and fairly stable? I shoot in anywhere from below 0 to 85 degrees depending on the time of year. I used to run rl-22 and it gave me great results, but I've read its unstable. Powders on my list of possibilities that I can get local are rl-22, rl-25, h1000, and retumbo. Will be shooting 162-180 class bullets.

Where are you located?

So apparently rl-26 has fallen off the face of the earth. Which is a shame because I had a great load worked up for my rifle. Anyhow, what would be a good replacement that would give me decent velocity and fairly stable? I shoot in anywhere from below 0 to 85 degrees depending on the time of year. I used to run rl-22 and it gave me great results, but I've read its unstable. Powders on my list of possibilities that I can get local are rl-22, rl-25, h1000, and retumbo. Will be shooting 162-180 class bullets.

I've had extremely good luck with H1000 and 162 eld-x's. If memory serves me correctly, velocity of 2970 +/- out of a 26" barrel and great accuracy.

check alliants reloading manual, RE23 shows only 30fps slower than RE26 and it's very temp stable
if you ask Alliant they will tell you that they are just waiting on the shipment/customs to get more RE26, it is suposed to arrive mid to late Feb (should be here soon)

Last edited:
I have been using IMR 7828 and H1000 and have had great results with velocity and terminal impact out to 900 yards with bullet weights starting at 140gr to 180gr you need to spend some time with several brands and test them you might be surprised if you get better results

+1 with RL23….. finding low ES, small groups and around 3000 fps with 162 ELDm in 7mmRM Nosler cases. seems pretty temp stable as well.

I havent seen rl-23 here. Not to say it isn't. I'm looking for a powder that will get me to atleast 2950 with a 180 eld and is fairly stable. Im only running a 9.5 twist so I have to drive them alittle harder to get my stability up. At my elevation 3000 fps gets me a 1.4sg and they shot well at 2975 fps. I think I'll give h1000 a try

I've used RL 22, Retumbo, IMR 7977, and most recently IMR 8133 in a 7RM using the 175 Nosler ABLR. Very impressed with 8133. Velocities are similar to Retumbo but seems to shoot a lot cleaner. I was getting a lot of carbon fowling with the Retumbo. Been able to produce great groups with all of them but I think IMR 8133 or possibly the 7977 should be similar in burn rate and temp stability as RL 26. Someone else can chime in here and dial in on burn rate comps. Both IMR powders advertise the same copper fowling agents like in the RL 26. I haven't tested 7977 as extensively in my 7RM because it was a pound of powder my father had bought for me to load his 270, so I just dabbled with a few charges. Had a screamer of a load found for 8133 anyway so I didn't feel the need to fuss with it. Velocities in the 270 however, with 7977 is impressive. I've found them to be very temp stable but I don't have recorded data to support. After all that rambling, I suggest trying out either IMR 7977 or IMR 8133.