replacement barrel lenght on a rem 700 action

Dr. John

I am curious. some day I will need to rebarrel my rem sendero. currrently in 300rum. I would replace with a heavy barrel. how much barrrel weight can this action take before needing a barrel block?
I was thinking of a 30" barrel

Why a 30 inch barrel? A 26" will do just fine for you as that's what the rifle has on it.

I'd agree with that, what do you want a 30" barrel for, unless your using iron sights and you want a loooonnngg sight radius.
with a realy fat barrel i would bed the first inch, maybe inch and a half of the barrel in front of the recoil lug in the stock. I would say that the sendero profile is heavey enough.
Pete

I would go with a 30" barrel on a 300 rum and the Rem action will handle it you could go with a 1.250 HV taper if you want that much weight. You will get around 25 fps pre 1" of barrel is the rum case that is 100 fps if you go from a 26 to a 30
grin.gif

Crow Mag

My 30"+brake is hanging off a non-blocked 700 action and it is finished at just shy of 1" at the muzzle. The 30" is what the RUM NEEDS!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.