Replacement barrel help??

BigDaddyKane

I own a Savage 111 300winmag. It came stock with a 24" sporter style barrel. I'm looking at replacing it with a 28-30" heavy or bull barrel. I don't care about weight. I want a thick, long barrel. The question is this... can a barrel be installed by yourself? or does it HAVE to be done by a smith? Also, are there any particular advantages to the 5R rifling? A friend of mine has it on his Rem700 and loves it. I'm not looking for a million dollar barrel, but something better than factory. Any suggestions? or anyone selling by chance???

I haven't done it personally but I've heard of a number of people replacing their Savage barrels "at home". You need a Savage barrel wrench--Sharpshooter Supply and Midway should have them. Beyond that, I'm not sure if you need a headspace gauge or what. I think PacNor has Savage-ready barrels. Not sure of other manufacturers.

I hear good things about the accuracy of the 5r also.

Get yourself a Wheeler barrel nut wrench and a pair of go/no go gauges and a barrel change can be done in 15 mins, but I recommend watching someone who has done it before, then give it a try. The only real advantages I see with the 5R is that it stays cleaner and is easier to clean. Brux, Criterion, Douglas, McGowen, Shilen, Pac-nor, Adams&Bennet, ER Shaw, etc all make savage prefits. I have a entire setup, barrel, ammo, and dies up for sale in the parts thread, its in 270 Wby Mag but I don't need it and at the price I have on it, I'm **** near giving it away! Anyway, if you have any ?s shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
It's a very simple and straightforward process. If you can change the brakes on your car, you can swap a Savage barrel.

You can spend $12 and become a member on Savageshooters.com.

That gives you access to the classifieds. Lots of good deals on barrels.

Here's a picture of my Krieger 300wsm on a 116 action in front of my McGowan 338 Edge 110 action.

S8001800.jpg

Get yourself a Wheeler barrel nut wrench and a pair of go/no go gauges and a barrel change can be done in 15 mins, but I recommend watching someone who has done it before, then give it a try. The only real advantages I see with the 5R is that it stays cleaner and is easier to clean. Brux, Criterion, Douglas, McGowen, Shilen, Pac-nor, Adams&Bennet, ER Shaw, etc all make savage prefits. I have a entire setup, barrel, ammo, and dies up for sale in the parts thread, its in 270 Wby Mag but I don't need it and at the price I have on it, I'm **** near giving it away! Anyway, if you have any ?s shoot me a PM.

It's funny you mention changing brakes because I'm a mechanic haha. I just don't want to have to drop 200-250 on an install if I can just buy a few tools and do it myself

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts