repeatability.

timmyatnop

Ok iam thinking i need some new glass. My budget is proubly gona be 1000 $. Iam thinking mabey ziess conquest 6.5 x 20... or vortex viper pst 6x24. Sfp. I guess repeatibilty is far more important to me than glass quality. I hear both are repatible. My brother has a viper pst i told him we need to run it up at a tall target at 100 yards and mark it at every moa. And shoot it adjust it up and back down and male sure it tracks perfectly. He said he didn' t want to waste ammo and he did lots of reasearch before buying it and its repeatable. I really dont know if it is or not. So i wanted to hear from people that own these scopes and have tested them. If you own one and havent tested it mabey you could give it a small test then get back to me i would so appreciate it. Thanks everone.

Ask your brother if he would rather waist a shot opportunity hunting? If you do allot of practice at different ranges it will become apparent very quick weather or not it tracks repeatably. Weather it is done with ten shots at 100 or 1 shot at 400 and 1 at 650 and 1 at 800 etc etc etc, The individual scope should be tested before you try and count on it. Both the vortex and zeiss SHOULD be good to go. You should also consider the sightron siii in that price range. All these scopes mentioned have great records and high expectations are understandable but take nothing for granite.

Either SHOULD work.If they dont either will be fixed by manufacturer. I an with di.d that it still must be checked at real ranges. Also the sIII would be right in the running and maybe the bushy and weaver tacticals also.

Been kinda a slow night at work. Ive been reading acticles and doing reasearch. Oh my there are so many choices. Ziess. Vortex. Weaver tactial. Falcon menace. Sightron. Iam more confused now than ever. Everything ive read about weaver tactial sounds like it might be the most repeatable out of them all and ffp too. That do you guys think.

I have a vortex HS LR in 4-16 x 50 that is very repeatable and tracks very well. The glass is not good though and the reticle is very thin.
If you can swing it the Huskemaw has everything I ever wanted in a hunting scope. Tracking, super clear glass, covered turrets, perfect thickness of reticle, not too heavy or long, all the dials move with the perfect amount of tension, not too tight or too loose. I wish I could afford them on all my rifles.
gary

Truth be told if your spending X=amount of money, that money will likely be "spent" somewhere in the product. This level of scope gets #1=warranty/reputation #2=repeatability #3=Glass OR Features #4=Features OR Glass .......... somewhere after #1 and 2 are the differences that you need to prioritize. All the bells and whistles at the same price point usually result in a comprise in glass but most of this level of scope glass is good enough it just depends on where you prioritize that extra being spent.

Anything you mentioned has merit. The real trick for buying glass isnt asking a buncha keyboard cowboys its LOOKING THRU THE GLASS side by side. I usually allot 1 or 2 DAYS of looking before I buy glass. The guys at the store will begin to think youre nuts but your eyes "adjust" to some glass better than others. Repeatability in everything you mentioned should be fine. If it isnt return it. You can actually check elevation accuracy if the scope has mounts and the store counter is glass and level. Line the scope up on something horizontal a long ways away...further is better. Then adjust the knob to its far setting and back to original. If its still pointing at the same line its g2g. Ive never done that buying glass but I have done it while on a trip to check a suspect scope. I screwed a mount to my tool box and found my scope jumping 3-4" at 100 on the 3rd turret revolution. NOT GOOD. Ive used it since quite a few times on other scopes. Best part is it will check both elev. and windage. I got my gun shop to installl one and we do box tests on an oil refinery about 1 mile away. We center the scope on a patch of rust on a tank and then the other patches of rust have a certain amt of moa or mil to get there. If they arent on the dots ya got an issue. Still need to shoot it but its kinda neat to get a look at how the thing actually moves...some might surprise you with how they move....you can see a big diff between some brands.

Truth be told if your spending X=amount of money, that money will likely be "spent" somewhere in the product. This level of scope gets #1=warranty/reputation #2=repeatability #3=Glass OR Features #4=Features OR Glass .......... somewhere after #1 and 2 are the differences that you need to prioritize. All the bells and whistles at the same price point usually result in a comprise in glass but most of this level of scope glass is good enough it just depends on where you prioritize that extra being spent.

I think that is what makes Vortex such a good value. For the money it is hard to argue with the vortex. The glass in mine, to my eyes is not great but for the price and features I can live with the glass and I don't think it will ever cost me a shot at game. I rank glass near the bottom of my priorities so long as it's not too bad.
Can't wait to move back to Boise...hopefully not too long.

Happy New Year!!!

Gary

Watch video on bushnell 6-24 elite tactial. On 8541tactial. Wow john puts that thing through a lot of test and it function after every one what really scared me was the shold high drop test on a ar 10 rifle with rifle turned upside down or there he tips it over scope first on pavement. Wish that scope was only 1000. Thinking tracking is the most important and glass alittel down the list.

I run two different elite 4200 tactical 6-24x50 scopes and one elite 3200 tactical 10x40 (mil dot ret w/moa adjustments sfp) They have bean 100% repeatable and only cost $500, $512 and $200. Glass on the 4200 impresses me every time I shoulder those weapons. To hell and back and still going.

One cation on the elites that I should mention. They say one year no questions, they say lifetime with conditions but...... Rumor has it.......RUMOR has it there warranty work leaves something to be desired. I have not had to test it so I can't say for sure.

Thinking vortex viper pst 6x24 mil mil. Sounds like awsome warranty. Glass not as good as conquest. But super repeatable. Thinking iam gona go this way , unless sombody has somthing that will change my mind.

you really can't make a bad decision with the scopes you are considering. The vortex should be fine and probably cheaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.