Removing paint from a barrel

adam330

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the alumahyde from mh barrel so i can repaint it. Would xylen work or am i going to have to use sandpaper and do the whole thing by hand? Thanks in advance for the help

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the alumahyde from mh barrel so i can repaint it. Would xylen work or am i going to have to use sandpaper and do the whole thing by hand? Thanks in advance for the help

Try and find out. You won't hurt it. Just don't use anything in the lands. Keep it all external.

Tank

Gumout or Berryman's carbureto cleaner should work just fine.

Since you are going to refinish it anyhow single or double ought steel wool combined with the caurburetor cleaner should do just fine.

Once you have it completely stripped you'll want to use acetone for a final cleaning to be sure you have all of the oil etc gone.

Sandblast it with fine sand(Sugar sand) and this will remove the paint and prepair the barrel for repainting.

A sand blast finish gives the paint a good anchor pattern and makes it much harder to chip or
flake off. Also the sand is non reactive and some chemicals are, so I don't like using them.

All it takes is a hand held sand blast gun and a bag of sugar sand. (About $30.00) and some
tape to mask off any areas that you want to keep the sand off/out. I use an ear plug in the
crown it protect it while blasting it.

When applying Alumahyde spray Very light coates until you get good coverage, (This is a
place that More is not better) Because the thicker it is the easier it is to chip.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the advice so far. Ill try the carb cleaner since i dont have a sand blaster. If anyone else has an idea feel free to share also.

Make sure you use a fine grit sand paper to rough up the barrel. Too coarse and you'll scratch the pooh out of the barrel. 200 grit or finer.

Tank

Your nearest auto collision center should have soda blasting equipment. Any kind of media blast is better for preparing to re-paint than all of the other options. Paint works better if it has some "tooth" on the surface to hang onto.

The great thing with soda is that removing it requires only water and it dissolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.