Removing lettering on savage action

midnightmalloy

Any idea how to remove this savage lettering from this model 10 action? I do not want to ceracoat it and I want to keep the bolt black and just remove the lettering. Does anyone know how savage applies the lettering?
23747B8B-0C44-45C3-AD21-7143D97C8E4C.jpeg

The only lettering I see is on the bolt and on the rail. Which are you talking about ?

strip it down and put a dowel wrapped with tape to match the inside diameter and spin it on a cordless drill
62826d1467741293t-how-bead-blast-sav.jpg
62828d1467741293t-how-bead-blast-sav4.jpg

Thanks for the ideas of fluting the bolt. Not trying to put any more into this gun than necessary as it's just for practicing. I have my other customs to look pretty! Haha

Acetone maybe? Otherwise vinegar and HCl acid are options to remove it without abrasives. You would have to soak it for an extended amount of time in vinegar. With vinegar and acid it will strip the black too. HCl has a chance of eating away and pitting the steel so if you're not sure, it's best to go another route.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts