Removing a barrel without marring it (at all)

Viking264

Please forgive me if this topic has come up previously; I was unable to locate it, if so.

Action in question is an FN Mauser Supreme. Barrel is serial numbered and matches the action. Both are mint. Issue is that I don't want to shoot the barrel out. Question that I have is whether it's possible for an experienced gunsmith to pull a barrel like this without marring it. I'd like to retain the barrel, I suppose for nostalgia as much as anything else. I want to be able to thread it back on and tighten it down again if the mood so takes me.

Many thanks for any assistance that you can offer. I'm in PA, if it matters.

With the correct tools you can remove any barrel and not mark it. The barrel vise has to fit the contour and a soft buffer (Brass or copper) needs to protect the barrel finish.

If the tools are correct and the fit is good the barrel will not slip in the barrel vise. slipping/rotating is normally the cause of marring. I also recommend a 4 lb rubber mallet to strike the action wrench and shock the connection loose instead of a cheater and lots of torque. (Normally this will result in the barrel turning in the barrel vise damaging the barrel finish).

J E CUSTOM

Thank you. I personally won't be doing it, however you have confirmed that a person with the proper tools, experience, and approach can do it. I'm going to contact a couple of 'smiths in the region to see if they can manage it.

Thanks again!

Indeed, pulling the barrel without marring it should be the "normal" state of barrel removal. I reckon things just aren't what they used to be. Any smith should have the needed tools to do it right.

Cheers,
Rex

I have to ask, what caliber is your FN in? Unless it is in some hot rod chambering the chance of you shooting it out is slim. Most older chamberings can last thousands of rounds. More than most will even shoot. Rather than rebarrel for fear of losing the original barrel, just buy another rifle in the caliber of choice.

Get ready for this...

... .243 Win.

It's the rifle that I have up for sale at present. If no takers within the next couple of days, I'm going to keep it.

Shoot it out, if you can, then put on a new mint barrel and stamp the serial number on to the new barrel. Barrels are meant to be shot out.
It is a very nice looking rifle.
To answer your question though, I agree with the others, a gunsmith should be able to remove the barrel without marring.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if this topic has come up previously; I was unable to locate it, if so.

Action in question is an FN Mauser Supreme. Barrel is serial numbered and matches the action. Both are mint. Issue is that I don't want to shoot the barrel out. Question that I have is whether it's possible for an experienced gunsmith to pull a barrel like this without marring it. I'd like to retain the barrel, I suppose for nostalgia as much as anything else. I want to be able to thread it back on and tighten it down again if the mood so takes me.

Many thanks for any assistance that you can offer. I'm in PA, if it matters.

This one is tough to answer. I doubt that any smith would guarentee the results.

It's looking like I will be having the work performed by Montour County Rifles. I've had barrels pulled by Kevin in the past, but not from Mauser actions. I have spoken with smiths who refuse to work on Mausers, so I am pleased to learn that Kevin can do this work for me.

In my initial inquiry, I asked if he could pull the barrel from this specific action without marring, and he said that it should be no problem. That works for me.

With the correct tools you can remove any barrel and not mark it. The barrel vise has to fit the contour and a soft buffer (Brass or copper) needs to protect the barrel finish.

If the tools are correct and the fit is good the barrel will not slip in the barrel vise. slipping/rotating is normally the cause of marring. I also recommend a 4 lb rubber mallet to strike the action wrench and shock the connection loose instead of a cheater and lots of torque. (Normally this will result in the barrel turning in the barrel vise damaging the barrel finish).

J E CUSTOM
has anyone used the lead shims sold by Brwnells? are they effective is lessoning the chance of maring the bbl finish? Where would you get the brass or copper shim material for a bbl vise?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts