Remingtons new AWR rifle has peaked my intrest.

WildBillG

I was looking on the Remington site and saw the American Wilderness Rifle. This peaked my intrest when I read it was chambered in 338 RUM with a 26 inch 5R barrel. I really like theIdea since I found out my 338 Win Mag is only putting 2650 with 225gr Barnes TSX's. The Nosler manual says the 338 RUM will 3200 with 225 that is quite a difference. Also add the fact that the RUM is supposed to be very accurate.

I think the awr is definitely a quality rifle, but for a sporter barrel rifle there's a lot of weight with those greyboe stocks, which probably won't matter or you will maybe be glad for that weight with a 338 rum.
But for myself when I picked one up I kind of thought I would rather put that extra pound in the barrel. The Hs precision stocks are just as rigid and lighter

I was looking on the Remington site and saw the American Wilderness Rifle. This peaked my intrest when I read it was chambered in 338 RUM with a 26 inch 5R barrel. I really like theIdea since I found out my 338 Win Mag is only putting 2650 with 225gr Barnes TSX's. The Nosler manual says the 338 RUM will 3200 with 225 that is quite a difference. Also add the fact that the RUM is supposed to be very accurate.
Just remember that added 600fps comes with at a very high price in recoil and muzzle blast.

You will want to put a good muzzle brake on it before you ever shoot it. I shoot a .375 Ruger that puts out about 4000ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle and while I'm not recoil shy I can promise you that in an 8lbs package the recoil is enough to shy most people off.

One of the reasons the .338 Rum quickly lost popularity is the punishing recoil and MB.

That being said, if I didn't have my 300 Rum's and .375's I'd probably own at least one .338 Rum, it's a great round that with the right bullet and load has all the power and deep penetration needed to put even the toughest and most dangerous game down with a single well placed shot.

If i remember correctly the 338 win is only about 100 fps better than the 35 whelen, with the 225 grain bullet.
I am not recoil shy but 3200 fps for a 225 grain bullet, what can i say but wow. Now that is smoking. Wonder how close that in recoil is to a 378 wetherby

If i remember correctly the 338 win is only about 100 fps better than the 35 whelen, with the 225 grain bullet.
I am not recoil shy but 3200 fps for a 225 grain bullet, what can i say but wow. Now that is smoking. Wonder how close that in recoil is to a 378 wetherby
You can run it through any of several felt recoil programs online and see they are pretty close. It's stout.

I had often wondered what the recoil was like with these big 338s. My plan would be to have a brake put on it. Will the 1in 10 twist effect how it shoots heavier bullets?

I had often wondered what the recoil was like with these big 338s. My plan would be to have a brake put on it. Will the 1in 10 twist effect how it shoots heavier bullets?
You can check on the manufactureres websites for recommended twist rates but a 10tw should be plenty for most up to 300gr.

Keep in mind too that the heavier the bullet the stouter the recoil will be.

I Know that the heavier the bullet the more the recoil. I was just wondering how as you said 300gr bullets would stabilize in the 10 twist. I am a bit of a Barnes fan and was thinking of there 285 LRX bullet.

I Know that the heavier the bullet the more the recoil. I was just wondering how as you said 300gr bullets would stabilize in the 10 twist. I am a bit of a Barnes fan and was thinking of there 285 LRX bullet.
No insult Bill, nobody knows your experience level here so I'm just trying to give you all of the information I can.

For what it's worth I shoot the peregrine heavies in my .375's and love them.

They never fail to expand and will always penetrate at least 2' through the body or brain of anything on earth.

The tip is basically designed like a shape charge that goes off on impact so you will always get 1.5-2x diameter expansion but so far I've never recovered one with less than 85% weight retention.

To me, that's an unbeatable combination for terminal performance.

Just double check in the Barnes website to be sure on the recommended twist rate and you'll be fine.

I was not insulted by your comment WR I did not know how to get that piont across though. Such is chatting on the web I guess.

I was not insulted by your comment WR I did not know how to get that piont across though. Such is chatting on the web I guess.
The limitations we face by not being face to face. Over half of all human communication is actually non verbal.

Remove our ability to read each other's physical cues and communication instantly becomes more difficult.

I just wanted to be clear. If I ever intend to insult anyone I make sure and remove all doubt. I'm about as subtle as a beer fart in church.

Buy the 338 Rum , I just love mine it's a Rem 700 bdl deluxe with a radial brake .I'm pushing 285 eldm with H-1000 in a tight group ! I will shoot over a crono soon .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.