Remington VTR R15

shooters

When the VTR R15 first came out, I bought one. I think it was literally the first in our state. Traveled 400 miles to pick it up. Was so excited about this gun and thought it was just so neat, I bought another! Had them for over a year and still have yet to fire a round through them. I don't know much about this gun because I NEVER see, hear, or read anything on it. I've done searches and there seems to be no one who owns this gun. When I mention to others what it is, they give me a funny look. Its the R15 with the Max 1 Camo and triangular stainless barrel. I would like to know if others have it and how well it performs compared to other AR's. The main reason why I bought it was because it was kind of based around Preditor hunting.... already came with camo, 24" barrel, etc.... So, if anyone has any info they would like to share, whether you own this gun, shot this gun, or have heard anything about it, please chime in. I would really like to start shooting one of them. Thanks

Jason

Not personally familar but, did go to Remy site and read up on it. It sounds like it's a pretty good gun but, I think I would get out there and shoot it. Comparisons are nice but, what's important is how does yours shoot and are you satisfied that it will accomplish what you want it to accomplish. Go shoot it and have some fun. Just my 2 cents.:)

Last edited:
+1 for what Chas said.

I kinda think the tri barrel looks pretty cool myself, but don't know anybody that has one..................let us know how you like it.

+1 for what Chas said.

I kinda think the tri barrel looks pretty cool myself, but don't know anybody that has one..................let us know how you like it.

Lol. See, thats what I'm talking about. No one seems to know anything about this gun. I know tons have sold because they use to be hard to come by. Guess its time to put a scope on one of them and go shooting. Thanks

Jason

I talked the Engineer on my boat into the Rem. 700 VTR in .308 and he loves it! Bagged himself a mule dear spike with it a month ago. gun)
Enjoy it!

I talked the Engineer on my boat into the Rem. 700 VTR in .308 and he loves it! Bagged himself a mule dear spike with it a month ago. gun)
Enjoy it!

Are these Remington AR's a Bushmaster frame? Are they made by Bushmaster like some say and if so, I wonder if there there made the exact same, just camo'd up. I've never owned any AR style rifles before; the reason for all the questions. Plus, the Rem. web site doesn't tell you much about this gun. Just says it has a crisp trigger (I don't think so) and the "Triangular 24" barrel provides rapid cooling and extreme rigidity. Accuracy is amazing. "How do these Rem. AR's compare to some of the other more popular DPMS, Bushmaster, etc.. AR's. Has to be someone that owns one. Thanks for the input guys.

Jason

Remington, Marlin, DPMS, Bushmaster are all owned by the same parent company. I would assume the rifles are Bushmasters. I didn't know they made a VTR R15. I am very interested how it shoots..

A good friend of mine has one. It shoots great, the trigger could be better. His rifle will shoot right at 1 moa.
Remington's R15 are built by Bushmaster to Remington's spec.
Remington's R25 are built by DPMS to Remongton's spec.
I borrowed a Rem VTR in .243 to plug some prairie dogs. Oh Man did I have fun. The gun I was using shot great with the ported triangle barrel, but it was loud.
Get a scope on it and shoot!

A good friend of mine has one. It shoots great, the trigger could be better. His rifle will shoot right at 1 moa.
Remington's R15 are built by Bushmaster to Remington's spec.
Remington's R25 are built by DPMS to Remongton's spec.
I borrowed a Rem VTR in .243 to plug some prairie dogs. Oh Man did I have fun. The gun I was using shot great with the ported triangle barrel, but it was loud.
Get a scope on it and shoot!

Thanks guys. Just sent off a new Leupold VXlll 6.5-20x50 in the Varmint Retical to Tarjac to get dipped in Max 1 Camo to match the gun. Hope its not too much scope for the .223. Can't wait to get it back and start shooting. Thanks for the advice guys and I will keep you posted.

Jason

Beautiful, I can't imagine it being too much.. Just put a Millet 4x16 by 56mm on top of my home built 24inch A3.. If the .223 is effective to 600yds, then you should be set up very well..

Beautiful, I can't imagine it being too much.. Just put a Millet 4x16 by 56mm on top of my home built 24inch A3.. If the .223 is effective to 600yds, then you should be set up very well..

Thanks. Turn around time from Tarjac Dipping is about 15 days they said. So it will be a few weeks before I get to shoot it. Hopefully the weather is nice when I go to the range. Keep ya posted. ............

......I really hope the scope can handle being dipped in water????

The Remington VTR R15 is a Bushmaster 223. The Remington R25 is a DPMS 308/243 etc. They are owned by the same company.
I use several auto loaders for prairie dog/ coyote. Colt h-bar 223 with an Armalite trigger works great for prairie dog or ( coyote with 60 nbt bullets ).
In my opinion, the best coyote rifle is the DPMS LR 243 or the DPMS 243 L.
The 243 anchors these large yotes better than most 223 hits. The DPMS products are very well made and accurate. My LR 243 shoots 1" at 300 yards!
The 243 L is a lite weight model with an 18" barrel and is shoots almost that well.
If you hand load suggest 70 NBT 41.0 gr Varget CCI br primer.
The only problem with AR15/AR10 platforms is carry weight and noise. In most coyote hunts you need to enter the area undetected. Sight, smell, sound, can alert you target. You can't silently chamber most AR's and some safeties make a loud click also.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.