Remington vs Tikka 300 WM....or Savage

Deederswy

Hello everyone,

Im in the market for a new 300WM, I don't have the money to custom build but I want a rifle that will be accurate beyond 800 yards. I have it narrowed down to 2 choices(kind of), either a Remington 700 or a Tikka T3x(now hold on tikka fans…). With the Remingtons, I would either go with the XCR Tac(26" varmint-contour 416 stainless steel barrel, B&C stock, 1:10), the 700 5R Gen 2(24" 5R stainless fluted and threaded barrel, HS stock, 1:10) or the AWR(24" 5R stainless barrel, grayboe stock, 1:10) and as for the Tikka T3x stainless, it comes with a 24" stainless barrel but its only a 1:11 twist. (THERE ARE TOO MANY VERSIONS OF THE 700!!! HA!)

I would think with just the figures above, the Remington would be the way to go but it seems that the CQ has gone down a bunch, at least with the stories that ive read and people seem to really like Tikka and say they shoot well(guaranteed sub MOA). The common issues with the Tikkas that I find is the 1:11 twist and the mags are too short so youre hard pressed or simply cant shoot 210-215gr bullets which anything shorter seems to really hold back the 300WM. With those limiting issues, id be more apt to learn towards one of the Remington's but im a bit gun shy due to the stories that ive read how Remington rifles aren't all that good anymore. I will be hand loading and hunting elk and possibly moose if I ever draw! I also hunt at 7000'-9000' elevation.

On second thought, lets throw in another rifle, Savage 11/111(26" Carbon barrel, accutrigger, accustock, Adjustable comb, Adjustable muzzlebrake) PS – I don't care what they look like or if they are an eye sore…

To answer both your threads, I'd go for a 26" for sure but haven't really had much personal touch of exact rifles you've chosen. Good luck

It all comes down to what features you want in the rifle and how easy is it to purchase aftermarket parts/components if you want to change things down the line. I own all 3 brands you listed and they all shoot great. Here's my lineup of rifles (Tikka T3 243 & Sako 75 300 WSM/ Savage 110 30-06 & 116 6.5-284 Norma/Rem 700 7mm STW) Granted, I handload for all of them, which made every rifle better. That being said, the Tikka, Sako and Savage 110 (30-06) were all sub moa out of the box with factory ammo and the easiest to develop loads for. The 6.5-284 and 7 STW are scary accurate with handloads. The easiest one to change things out on was the Rem 700. There are so many options out there for the 700 and it's probably the easiest to rebarrel, too.

Don't overlook a Browning X bolt and if ya didn't want to go that way any of the above rifles would probably due.;)

I'd go with a Savage in the 110 Law enforcement series (not the BA but the HS Precision stock model). I know it is only 24" but it is accurate. There is nothing wrong with a Remington 5r either, if you can find one.

Why is the Rem 700 the easiet to rebarrel? A savage can be rebarreled at home without a smith. It takes less than 30 minutes. You can shoot a different caliber every other day if you wanted.

We are taking the Remington Long Range and bedding, installing a Pain Killer brake, and Jewel trigger. We then load develop the rifle and prove them for accuracy before selling. This makes in my opinion a very nice rifle without spending the bank. We have a 300wm on hand now if you are interested.

I had a Tikka T3 Lite for a while. I bought it because of all the rave reviews on-line, but I didn't think it was anything impressive. I would opt for either the Savage, Browning, or if you can pass the lack of quality control get a Remington. The Savage are good shooting rifles but sometimes the bores are a little rough and need some lapping to get them smoothed out so they shoot and don't copper foul. The Brownings don't seem to start out with stellar accuracy but they break in to real shooters. The Remingtons have a very good bore and are easy to find accuracy, at least in my opinion, but Big Green seem to be more interested in shoving their products out the door than making sure they don't have glaring defects.

I have a tikka in 300wm and it's deadly out of the bow for sure, however I just started to reload for my 6.5 creedmoor and I was inspired to start loading for the tikka and I ran into the issue with magazine length. I'm having a hard time finding a bullet that will maximize BC and ft the correct OAL..... if anyone has any advice please reply. Thanks

I was just doing some shooting w/ the savage 300wm weather warrior. The sorta good news is the guy will [most likely] only be shooting factory ammo, the bad news is he is pretty much limited to sammi oal b/c of the magazine. After about 50rds and some jb's I think we got the bore pretty smoothed out and I put 4 hornady precision 200gr eld-x into one 1/4" hole at 100 and had great potential at 200yds but ran out of ammo. Whats unreal to me is half of that bullet extends below the neck shoulder junction. Anyways this guy w/ next to no experience shooting had no problems ringing the 600yd gong w/ his bdc. Oh and he is shooting about 200fps (based on drops) faster than the advertised 2850fps on the box.

I loaded up some 185 vld's just to see if they'd group, not a chance, had to jump them way too far. A 168gr Hybrid might do well, just don't have any on hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts