remington vs savage

Somthing tells me that wasnt out of the box, and it wasnt a factory savage barrel. if he was going to spend all that money whats the problem with spending a dime more for a good action? :D:D

I owen one factory rifle if you dont count the 40x rifles so I dont have any use for a savage rifle. keep kiding your self no one puts barrel nuts on there custom actions for a reason. Im not going or trying to say that savage dont have some good shooting rifles. I just dont waist my time with factory barrels and that being said, if its not a custom action its a remington 700. I think most all factory barrels make good fence post at best, I have worked on them all and true preformace comes from the most ridgid and true action you can get. because you can change things at home and it makes you feel like a gunsmith dont make a preformer. put a savage barrel in a lathe and thread it at the muzzle for a brake and then do the same with a remington, you will see the differance.

I owen one factory rifle if you dont count the 40x rifles so I dont have any use for a savage rifle. keep kiding your self no one puts barrel nuts on there custom actions for a reason. Im not going or trying to say that savage dont have some good shooting rifles. I just dont waist my time with factory barrels and that being said, if its not a custom action its a remington 700. I think most all factory barrels make good fence post at best, I have worked on them all and true preformace comes from the most ridgid and true action you can get. because you can change things at home and it makes you feel like a gunsmith dont make a preformer. put a savage barrel in a lathe and thread it at the muzzle for a brake and then do the same with a remington, you will see the differance.

Most factory barrels are not concentric at the muzzle, doesn't really matter if you are interested in shooting.

Since you only own one factory rifle, I guess you don't have much experience with shooting Savage factory rifles then. I only have one custom rifle, so I guess our Karma's will balance each other out. I have a Factory barreled Rem700 that will easily shoot sub 1/2moa (7RM) and I have a Factory barreled Savage in 300WSM that will easily shoot sub 1/2moa. Both of these rifles have shot sub .2moa groups. I'd trust either one of them for any hunting I'd need to do.

When I swap a barrel on a Savage, I don't feel like a gunsmith, I just feel like shooting a different caliber with the same Stock/Action/Scope, that makes me feel financially smart. I have a NF - NXS on my Savage, and use it with both the 300WSM and the 338Edge. Makes it real nice to leverage a nice scope like that for 2 different rifles without ever taking it off.

AJ

Most factory barrels are not concentric at the muzzle, doesn't really matter if you are interested in shooting.

Since you only own one factory rifle, I guess you don't have much experience with shooting Savage factory rifles then. I only have one custom rifle, so I guess our Karma's will balance each other out. I have a Factory barreled Rem700 that will easily shoot sub 1/2moa (7RM) and I have a Factory barreled Savage in 300WSM that will easily shoot sub 1/2moa. Both of these rifles have shot sub .2moa groups. I'd trust either one of them for any hunting I'd need to do.

When I swap a barrel on a Savage, I don't feel like a gunsmith, I just feel like shooting a different caliber with the same Stock/Action/Scope, that makes me feel financially smart. I have a NF - NXS on my Savage, and use it with both the 300WSM and the 338Edge. Makes it real nice to leverage a nice scope like that for 2 different rifles without ever taking it off.

AJ

I am really talking about the quality of maiterial of the barrel. i am planning to run a sharpy,yield and tensil test in are lab. most savage barrels tend to shoot out at a greater rate then other factory rifles. I think this would also show it self in the lathe as gummy maiterial. almost every savage I have threaded is gummy and I have never had a winchester, remington, sako, barrel do this.

The reason i posted this blog was because i am looking to buy a new gun for long range shootin i know i want a 300 wsm. i have a 30 06 savage model 110 adjusted the trigger and it will shoot 1 inch all day. i was thinkin savage but my dad is in love with the remys and is pushing one on me. and i was wondering what people think that hav shot both or one. I WANT TO DRILL DIMES.

I know first hand that they are two great riffles and that is where i am caught up with my choice....

Wow !!!!!
This sounds like some of the Chevy vs Ford debates.

I hate to see any (verses) between different rifles or scopes because they all have a following
and you end up getting opinions because they are not apples to apples comparisons.

The old saying that you get what you pay for is very true and when comparing the two
you have to look at the strengths and weakness of each.

Marlins are very inexpensive but for the most part they shoot well.

Savages are cheaper than the remingtons but are known as good shooters out of the box
(in most cases) As a smith there are some things that I personally don't like.the barrel nut does
not bother me because it is the way Savage head spaces a pre-chambered barrel ,It is cheep
and fast and saves money even though I personally don't like the looks of it.
The recoil lug is weak/soft and can be problematic in heavy recoiling rifles and normally has to
be changed out because of bending. The Accutrigger is also very cheep and was changed because the buyers demanded it (The old trigger was like sticking a screwdriver in a hole and
pulling it out when you wanted to fire the rifle). It was just a fix not a redesign.

In defence of the savage they have been cheaper to buy in the past and for the money were
a good deal. But this is no longer true because the upper end savages cost as much as some
of the 700 Remington's.

As to the remingtons they also have some cheaper rifles that I personally don't like ,and like
most other rifles don't always have the best quality control . But if you look at most custom
actions they are cloned after the 700 Remingtion action because it is a good design to start
with and can be made very accurate. The older triggers were much better than the new ones
but like everyone else they have bowed to the lawyers and know one can get a decent trigger
with out going to an after market trigger and when you install it your self they are not
responsible if something happens .

Most factory barrels are hit and miss as far as quality no matter who makes them because in order to make a rifle that has a reasonable price they are mass produced and have a wide
range of acceptance spec.

When determining whether to change barrels or re-use the original barrel I place them
between centers to check for run out (Most factory barrels are straightened after they are
bored,rifled and contoured) and if they are over .004 or.005 thousandth out then they will
be rejected. The worst I have ever seen was ,054 the bore was straight but with the outside
dia. .054 thicker on one side than the other I was never going to shoot well.

So in my opinion if I had a budget of $400.oo I would buy a Remington SPS and take my
chances that I would get a good one.If my budget was $700.oo I would probably buy a
savage or a Remington with a good stock. if my budget was $1200.oo it would be a
Remington sendero because I feel your best chance of getting a real shooter are best.

If my budget was unlimited then I would build a custom rifle with all of the factory problems
removed. the best barrels, blue printed or custom action , custom stock with pillars and bedding
after market trigger and a quality set of rings and bases and scope.

Sorry about the long winded reply but like everyone else I have my opinion and my recommendation would be to = Buy which one you like the best for the money and don't expect
to much unless you spend a lot.

There are a lot of mid range rifles ($700.oo to $1200.oo) that are good so don't get hung up on
one or two rifles look at all of them before you make up your mind.

If all factory rifles were the same price it would be easy for me. I would buy a Weatherby MK5.

J E CUSTOM

If you want to shoot dimes out of the box get a Weatherby Vangard sub-moa.
Well at least you shood be able to just clip the edges of it. :D

Not trying to make it personal, sorry about that, I had no excuse and I'm sorry you took it that way. I shouldn't have taken your post to infer that anyone that plays with a Savage is equivalent to a retarded spider monkey. Forester is the one you compared to the monkey, if anyone should be offended it is him. But I do agree with you, working on a Savage is much easier than working on a Rem.

The op asked about out of the box.
Out of the box, the Savage has a lighter trigger that will help in accuracy. Out of the box, the Savage has a floating bolt head that all but eliminates any action out of squareness (that exists in both the Rems and Savages) this aids in greater accuracy. Out of the box, they both have factory barrels, which can be bad,fair or great. Out of the box, the Savage can more easily be customized (without any type of machining), barrel AND bolthead swaps. Out of the box, the Savage is available with a blade ejector (not just an in the bolt spring/button ejector) , depending on caliber. This also is believed to help in the accuracy department.

I tried to think of ANYTHING in the design of the rem that would make it more accurate OUT OF THE BOX than the Savage, I couldn't think of one!

If the op had said which is better to send to a gunsmith and build into a custom, then I'd say a Remmy, actually I'd have said a custom action that would fit in a Rem700 footprint.

As far as fit and finish, that is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. I'd hope the op would only purchase a rifle that looks/feels good to him.

I own and have owned more Rems (by far) than Savages, I've hunted more w/ the rems etc. I don't consider myself biased. As far as betting on the OUT OF THE BOX Savage every time, I'd also bet on a flush draw over a straight draw every time too; I'm not biased toward the flush, just like the odds better.

AJ

Ya know, it did **** me off. But discussing anything with someone who acts like that is a waste of time. I'm glad NONYA loves his 100 Remingtons, I would be very impressed to see how he manages to shoot all those guns.

For me, I own 4 nice rifles, I shoot the hell out of them, they are all Savages, and they all shoot like a house afire.

Shoot, and buy whatever you like, but it is dishonest and a disservice to the OP to imply, nay, state as fact, that a new Remington is gauranteed to be a better rifle than a new Savage.

Wow !!!!!
This sounds like some of the Chevy vs Ford debates.

I hate to see any (verses) between different rifles or scopes because they all have a following
and you end up getting opinions because they are not apples to apples comparisons.

The old saying that you get what you pay for is very true and when comparing the two
you have to look at the strengths and weakness of each.

Marlins are very inexpensive but for the most part they shoot well.

Savages are cheaper than the remingtons but are known as good shooters out of the box
(in most cases) As a smith there are some things that I personally don't like.the barrel nut does
not bother me because it is the way Savage head spaces a pre-chambered barrel ,It is cheep
and fast and saves money even though I personally don't like the looks of it.
The recoil lug is weak/soft and can be problematic in heavy recoiling rifles and normally has to
be changed out because of bending. The Accutrigger is also very cheep and was changed because the buyers demanded it (The old trigger was like sticking a screwdriver in a hole and
pulling it out when you wanted to fire the rifle). It was just a fix not a redesign.

In defence of the savage they have been cheaper to buy in the past and for the money were
a good deal. But this is no longer true because the upper end savages cost as much as some
of the 700 Remington's.

As to the remingtons they also have some cheaper rifles that I personally don't like ,and like
most other rifles don't always have the best quality control . But if you look at most custom
actions they are cloned after the 700 Remingtion action because it is a good design to start
with and can be made very accurate. The older triggers were much better than the new ones
but like everyone else they have bowed to the lawyers and know one can get a decent trigger
with out going to an after market trigger and when you install it your self they are not
responsible if something happens .

Most factory barrels are hit and miss as far as quality no matter who makes them because in order to make a rifle that has a reasonable price they are mass produced and have a wide
range of acceptance spec.

When determining whether to change barrels or re-use the original barrel I place them
between centers to check for run out (Most factory barrels are straightened after they are
bored,rifled and contoured) and if they are over .004 or.005 thousandth out then they will
be rejected. The worst I have ever seen was ,054 the bore was straight but with the outside
dia. .054 thicker on one side than the other I was never going to shoot well.

So in my opinion if I had a budget of $400.oo I would buy a Remington SPS and take my
chances that I would get a good one.If my budget was $700.oo I would probably buy a
savage or a Remington with a good stock. if my budget was $1200.oo it would be a
Remington sendero because I feel your best chance of getting a real shooter are best.

If my budget was unlimited then I would build a custom rifle with all of the factory problems
removed. the best barrels, blue printed or custom action , custom stock with pillars and bedding
after market trigger and a quality set of rings and bases and scope.

Sorry about the long winded reply but like everyone else I have my opinion and my recommendation would be to = Buy which one you like the best for the money and don't expect
to much unless you spend a lot.

There are a lot of mid range rifles ($700.oo to $1200.oo) that are good so don't get hung up on
one or two rifles look at all of them before you make up your mind.

If all factory rifles were the same price it would be easy for me. I would buy a Weatherby MK5.

J E CUSTOM

I would disagree with a few of your points. The current production accustock savages have eliminated any problems with the recoil lugs so that is not a negative for current savage production rifles. I would also question why you feel the accutrigger is cheap. What kind of failures or problems are they prone to? One thing is for sure out of the box most shooters would prefer the adjustable accutrigger to the 6 lbs+ remingtons trigger pull.

The last item is cost. Of course the higher end savages run up into the price range of the lower cost remingtons. But that is not apples to apples. I would put a savage tactical rifle costing $650.00 to $700.00 up against a Sendero anyday for accuracy. With a 1.5 lbs trigger, oversized bolt handle, adjustable muzzlebrake and accustock it is every bit the gun for a lot less money IMHO.

I would quit buying remington If they used an accutrigger. that is the most cheap feeling trigger. what a gimmik, I work on a lot of savage rifles and the only thing that I can say i like about them over the remington at any price is that they offer a better twist (faster) in alot of there guns.

I would quit buying remington If they used an accutrigger. that is the most cheap feeling trigger. what a gimmik, I work on a lot of savage rifles and the only thing that I can say i like about them over the remington at any price is that they offer a better twist (faster) in alot of there guns.

If they did anything to the 700 to make it feel,shoot or look like a savage Id be done with em.The price is the only plus,but as they say you get what you pay for and no amount of protest from the low budget support group will change that.

If you cant read dont bother trying to stir up trouble,I said I have OWNED that many Rems,OWNED,do you understand?I currently have 23 Rems including shotguns and I have no problem shooting all but a few that are wallhangers.My buddy tried the Savage route,after he dumped in another $400 in a barrel and stock it shoots on par with a out of the box 700,but it still looks like s%^$,and the action feels like it was made in a russian SKS factory.gun)

...The price is the only plus,but as they say you get what you pay for and no amount of protest from the low budget support group will change that....

Why do you think that price is the only reason anyone would purchase a Savage?

I use my Savage 338Edge with a Joel Russo stock and NF-NXS as a practice platforn for my $4000 338AM that wears the same scope/reticle.

I chose the Savage because I can change barrels on it without dealing with a gunsmith. It is a great practice platform and a great backup rifle. It shoots sub 1/2moa with the 338Edge pac-nor barrel as well as with the 300WSM barrel. It shot a .3moa group (the first trip to the range) with the original crappy tupperware stock before I put the new stock on it.

Yes, the Accutrigger is different than the $225 Jewel trigger that the BAT based 338AM wears. But I have no problem with that. I have no problem with my Rem triggers, nor the Timney trigger on another of my Rem700's. I always do a little dry firing before using any of my firearms and can easily adjust to any of my triggers. In my opinion, an un-touched Accutrigger is much easier to shoot accurately than an untouched Rem trigger.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.