Remington VS Savage Part Deux

IMHO this debate will never be settled, though it does make for some pretty interesting conversations. Loyal remmy shooters will always think Remington is the best and vice versa.

Though it would be interesting if Len or someone had each of the guns Feenix spoke of and shot factory ammo not hand loads through them and see which one shoots the best.

Nathan

I know this is not the exact comparison you were looking at, but I have shot both the basic 700 SPS varmint(PSS action with Hogue stock), and the standard 10FP with factory ammo. I would have to give the edge to savage in accuracy but not by much. The savage had the accutrigger(which I am not a huge fan of) but other than that they were equals in as far as set up goes. The stock was a bit better on the Remmy it was stiffer than the tupperware on the savage, and felt a bit nicer too. The fit and finish were about equal, but the finishes do seem to hold up a bit better on savages(experience with both as a builder and LE armorer). The remmy has more cosmetic appeal and shot well, about .6 MOA average with factory match ammo. The Savage looked more utilitarian, but shot about .4 MOA with same ammo.

I don't have an iron in this fire since I'm a Winchester shooter, but when the 710 first came out I don't remember hearing anything good about it from actual users. Gun mags said they were ok, but I would take the Savage in a heartbeat.

The newer Savage are leaps and bounds better than the Savage from 20 years ago.

I don't have an iron in this fire since I'm a Winchester shooter, but when the 710 first came out I don't remember hearing anything good about it from actual users. Gun mags said they were ok, but I would take the Savage in a heartbeat.

The newer Savage are leaps and bounds better than the Savage from 20 years ago.

The last statement is very true in my opinion. You will notice many complaints in the rem/savage debates are about features that the current production savage rifles have already addressed. I work in marketing and once there is a negative perception of a brand name it is difficult to impossible to change that perception even if the product it sells is revamped and improved. Some of the posts actually demonstrate an ignorance to the upgrades that have been made recently by Savage. They are basing comparisons on a product that has improved actions, triggers, stocks, and barrel nuts. There is not much that is actually in common with todays rifles other than the barrel.

The last statement is very true in my opinion. You will notice many complaints in the rem/savage debates are about features that the current production savage rifles have already addressed. I work in marketing and once there is a negative perception of a brand name it is difficult to impossible to change that perception even if the product it sells is revamped and improved. Some of the posts actually demonstrate an ignorance to the upgrades that have been made recently by Savage. They are basing comparisons on a product that has improved actions, triggers, stocks, and barrel nuts. There is not much that is actually in common with todays rifles other than the barrel.
I agree years ago I to developed a negative perception of the savage brand name and I still love my REMINGTON MODEL 700. Were I'm from if you could shoot a fly off of a cows back @ 2,000 yards when folks walked up and ask what are you shooting? If you were to say a savage they would be like oh a junky savage and walk off that's the perception from most of the folks in my neck of the woods.Hey if everyone liked one kind of rifle we couldn't ever debate :)

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.