Remington vs Custom/7mm vs. 300/What would you do?

Berntc an Lefty both have very good points! Bottom line is each his own! As far as the Froggy part( I'm gettin one built now) 7/300 win mag! 300 win necked to 7mm! It an a STW run. Neck an neck! Again, it's all about choice!

DT

Yep, they are close. They have the same disparity in case capacity as the 300 win and the 300 wby. Not really enough to justify custom dies unless you want a standard length action in my opinion. But it is getting dang tough for some people to get 7stw brass, so the 7/300 will be a decent option for them. I've thought about the 7/300, but I have a 7mag, a 7stw, a 300 win, and a 300 U, so I really don't want another in the same range. And I don't have a donor ruger or browning action for a build.

It really is to each his own, and I have both in exactly the configurations you're comparing. The 230's take the 300 WM to another level. Delivering an energy level that even the 7 RM can't touch with 180's fired 200 fps faster. You bring up a good point about recoil. The 300 WM with a stout 230 load comes back hard. A good muzzle brake is recommended.

For me, the recoil is managed by either a muzzle brake or suppressor. So really it's a non-issue. I respect individual opinions against muzzle brakes, but I prefer to have them, especially when they double as a suppressor adapter. I have one on my 7 RM for the 180s too.

As I wrote earlier, either caliber I will put a brake on it. I have one on my 7mm and like the way it works. I like the fact that with the 300wm I can go from a lets say 155gr to 230gr. If it wasn't for those 200gr plus bullets for the 300wm, i would probably go with the 7mm, but like he said above, the 230's take the 300wm to another level....

I have two .300 Win Mags and will be converting one of them to 7MM STW and will be joining the STW brotherhood :D.

I already have the barrel, brass, and dies for it and will taking advantage of the upcoming 195gr (I think ???) VLDs from Berger.

7/300 win mag, all you need is 300 win mag brass( avalialbie everywhere ) 7mm necking did an you are home free! Choices, Choices!! Isnt America great!!!!!!

I am going to try to jumpstart this thread since I have had some time to shoot my winmag. I have a basic rem 700 300 win mag without a break. I have no problem with the recoil. I just finished my first rifle hunt and took a Coues Whitetail at 810yards with 20-30mph gusts. This made me want a 300 RUM a little more since it would buck the wind a little better. I have been wanting to take it to Phoenix Custom Rifles here in AZ and have them make my 300winmag a custom. But I am tempted to turn it into a 300 RUM with a break. I want it for my only rifle and I want to hunt elk, and if it happens to be long distance, I want it to be capable to reach out there. What's your thought of a 300 RUM shooting the 215s or 230s vs the 300winmag shooting the 215s and 230s? I will be reloading and I know it is more expensive to reload for the RUM and the barrel life may be less but the extra velocity may help it buck the wind even more. Or should I just stick with the 300 winmag? Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 12
I just read this entire thread and could not figure out why you wanted to change either rifle except to maybe clone the look of other people's rigs. I kept asking myself, "why doesn't he find out how the winmag shoots and be done with it?" If you can load 210's in the winmag you have more than you need. Remember, the ultra high bc 7mm will deliver more energy than even the 30-378 past 600-800yds. If you used the winmag on the coes at 810 then keep shooting that gun! Spend your money on practice and more hunts. You certainly don't "need" different equipment.
Just to clarify. I shoot a 300 weatherby long range and I'm always looking for something better and trying to think of reasons why another gun or different caliber makes more sense; but, the fact is that they all work very very well if we do our part. Learning better wind calls will always put you closer to your target than a different cartridge. Nothing walks around long with holes in both lungs! Even little holes!
Enjoy your future hunts.

bg

I just read this entire thread and could not figure out why you wanted to change either rifle except to maybe clone the look of other people's rigs. I kept asking myself, "why doesn't he find out how the winmag shoots and be done with it?" If you can load 210's in the winmag you have more than you need. Remember, the ultra high bc 7mm will deliver more energy than even the 30-378 past 600-800yds. If you used the winmag on the coes at 810 then keep shooting that gun! Spend your money on practice and more hunts. You certainly don't "need" different equipment.
Just to clarify. I shoot a 300 weatherby long range and I'm always looking for something better and trying to think of reasons why another gun or different caliber makes more sense; but, the fact is that they all work very very well if we do our part. Learning better wind calls will always put you closer to your target than a different cartridge. Nothing walks around long with holes in both lungs! Even little holes!
Enjoy your future hunts.

bg

That pretty much sums it up. 7mm mag,300win mag both are excellent rounds! If one or the other works, then shoot it! I do like wildcatting, but as far as basics,stick with whatever you are comfortable with!! Hope this helps!!

DT

Enjoy your future hunts.

bg

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. Maybe I confused you because the thread has kinda turned from a 7mm vs 300WinMag to a 300WinMag vs 300RUM. I stated in the original post that I had two rifles and neither was my "dream" rifle. Since neither one was my dream rifle I wanted to sell one and the scope on it and build off the other and make it how I wanted it, not "clone the look of other people's rigs." I disagree about the 7mm delivering more energy than 30cals past 600-800yards but that is another topic....and only maybe with the new 195 berger, but that has yet to be seen...so until then...

I have had time to shoot the WinMag and have been lucky enough to kill my first deer with a rifle. It is a bone stock rifle with no work done to it, and for that it did a good job, but I realize that I am wanting more performance from it. Tighter groups and better ballistics. Yes it killed at 810, but it made me realize that there is room for improvement, especially when the wind is involved. And especially if I want to stretch it out further than 810.

So here is what it comes down to. I still want to build a custom based off the rem 700 action I already have from the WinMag. So do I keep it a 300winmag or go 300 RUM? I am leaning towards the 300RUM. Either caliber I choose to go with will have an upgraded stock, trued action, 26" or 28" tube in remington sendero or varmit countour, pillar beded, brake, and new trigger. For either one I will be loading the 215 or 230 bergers for it. Now I just need to make a decision.....any thoughts are appreciated....

I will sell the 7mm Ruger and the PST on it to fund the build.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. Maybe I confused you because the thread has kinda turned from a 7mm vs 300WinMag to a 300WinMag vs 300RUM. I stated in the original post that I had two rifles and neither was my "dream" rifle. Since neither one was my dream rifle I wanted to sell one and the scope on it and build off the other and make it how I wanted it, not "clone the look of other people's rigs." I disagree about the 7mm delivering more energy than 30cals past 600-800yards but that is another topic....and only maybe with the new 195 berger, but that has yet to be seen...so until then...

I have had time to shoot the WinMag and have been lucky enough to kill my first deer with a rifle. It is a bone stock rifle with no work done to it, and for that it did a good job, but I realize that I am wanting more performance from it. Tighter groups and better ballistics. Yes it killed at 810, but it made me realize that there is room for improvement, especially when the wind is involved. And especially if I want to stretch it out further than 810.

So here is what it comes down to. I still want to build a custom based off the rem 700 action I already have from the WinMag. So do I keep it a 300winmag or go 300 RUM? I am leaning towards the 300RUM. Either caliber I choose to go with will have an upgraded stock, trued action, 26" or 28" tube in remington sendero or varmit countour, pillar beded, brake, and new trigger. For either one I will be loading the 215 or 230 bergers for it. Now I just need to make a decision.....any thoughts are appreciated....

I will sell the 7mm Ruger and the PST on it to fund the build.
Honestly I agree with the post you replied to. Keep what you have now it's a great rig, and if you ever take that "hunt of a lifetime" you absolutely need a backup gun an your current 300wm will do that in spades.

Sell the 7mm and build the Rum if you want "a little more gun" but realistically what you are gaining is only 200-300 more yards capability with it.

Also, I shoot my 300wm's without a brake and do just fine with them as well but when you step up to the rum you'll want one. The Gentry quiet break is a very good one for both muzzle flip and recoil reduction and it's very easy on the ears. Just keep in mind when shooting prone that just like shooting with no brake at all it's going to kick up a lot of crap and some of that crap will end up in your eyes especially if you are shooting into a wind.

For barrel recommendations if 1,000 is your limit and you intend on it being a carry rifle I'd go just a bit lighter than the Sendero contour, something along the lines of the light varmint contour but go ahead and go with the 28 or 30" length.

Unless you are half pack horse and half Mountain Goat anything heavier than a stock Sendero is going to be pretty tough on you in the field in rough/steep terrain to pack.

In all honesty though the 300wm with a longer barrel as I recommend above is enough gun to get the job done on elk at 1,000yds.

By the way congrats on the Coues Buck. That's quite the achievement for someone new to LR Shooting/hunting.

Got to agree with Wildrose! Even though I'm a 7mm man, I have owned a couple 300wm an one 300 ultra mag. Guess my 2cts would be the 300wm also, you can do pretty much what you want an burn less powder,etc! If you want to stay with the 30cal, then the 300wm gets my vote!

DT

Why don't you read the post by Broz, he covers the abilities of the 300 WM very well and has the pictures to prove it and he takes game with his 300 WM much further than most!

I would go with the RUM. I found it very easy to find very good accuracy using that case. I think it is inherently accurate and occupies a real sweet spot for the 30 cal magnum. Nothing wrong with the 300 Win for your intentions either.

Reading the thread I have a couple of thoughts:

This 12+ lb rifle build does not fit the "one rifle" mold. Keep that in mind.

Rifle builds workout best when a purpose and direction is decided and maintained.

Custom dies and forming brass are an expensive pain.

If you are going to commit to custom I think you could find a cheaper starting point. I would sell both rifles and pick up a lightly used older 7 mag bdl with a walnut stock or wait for a sendero to come up for auction. You can probably save the cost of chambering by switching rifles.

Although I don't think it is unwise to shoot the 300 you have, I support the idea of going custom.

Pay for a great shooter you won't ever regret that.

Good luck

Hey guys,
I know this thread is old but I thought I would give an update to what I decided to do. Hopefully this thread may help someone else who is just starting out like I was. I have posted a couple of links of some videos shooting this rifle as well of a description of the components.

https://www.youtube.com/user/19gaps/videos

I decide to sell my 7mm and the PST that was on it. I kept the Razor HD that was on the 300winmag but sold that rifle too. Then I took that money and built this 300 RUM.
This rifle was a budget build. It is built off of a Remington 300RUM SPS that I bought as a donor rifle. I kept the action and the bolt and then sold everything else. I bought the H-S Precision Sendero stock and bottom metal on eBay, it was brand new. The Krieger barrel was purchased at Bruno Shooters Supply and while I was over in that area I stopped by Timney Triggers and picked up a Timney 512 trigger from their warehouse. I bought the Nightforce 40moa picatinny rail from amazon. Then I took everything over to Phoenix Custom Rifles and they put their magic touch on it. I bought the badger thruster brake, PTG recoil lug, and firing pin assembly from them. They chambered and installed the barrel, trued the action, threaded the barrel and timed it for the brake, opened up the scope bases to 8-40, installed firing pin and spring, and pillar bedded the stock.

They did a great job with the build with a very quick turnaround time. And this rifle shoots WAY better than I expected! I have no regrets choosing the 300 RUM as a caliber. I can shoot it all day long and enjoy it. Nothing against the winmag or 7mm, but the 230gr Bergers going 3,048fps is something special to watch!

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3355.jpg
    IMG_3355.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3363.jpg
    IMG_3363.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts