Remington VLS vs Savage model 12 varmint low profile

quackshack

I have decided to purchase long range .308 and .223 rifle for paper punching and hunting. I have looked at the Remington VLS and also the Savage model 12 Varmint Low Profile. Based on what I have read on this and other forums, for the money, the Savage is a great deal. My question is in regards to accuracy of the single shot versus the detachable mag. The reviews state that the single shot is stiffer and thus better accuracy. Comments are appreciated.
progress.gif

I own a Mod 12 with DBM in .308. I have cut many groups to sub MOA most of which were in the .75 to .5 MOA. I would say if you want a repeater get it especially if you are hunting. Quick follow ups are good for varmints. I currently shoot mine one by one. I had it rechambered for 300WSM and currently I am still sub MOA at about 2000rnds total through the tube as a 308 and 300WSM. I support your decision on either action style in a Savage.

I have one group prone at 100yrds that measured in at .233 with 110 V-Maxs. Which ever you choose, you won't regret it.

Tank

Thanks Tank. Would this rifle setup be ok for entry level F-class also? It sounds that accuracy between single shot vs detachable mag is negligble. I live an hour from Oak Ridge Tenn and know they have a tremdous facility for long rifle shooting. Looking for one gun that can do both compete and hunt! .308 for hunting is a good round without the recoil.

I wouldn't be afraid to use it in F-class. Their F/RT class rifles are the same thing with target actions (lighter triggers) and heavy 30" 1" contour barrels. The 26" varmint contour will be more than sufficient for accuracy.

Tank

A while back I took the same barrel and screwed it on 4 different Savage actions (long action repeater,short action repeater, J action single shot and a short action single shot) Headspaced with a piece of resized brass the groups all lookt identicle!!
Dont stop me from useing more single shots though :D

Thnx MachV. I may go the 12vlp in single shot .223 It seems logical that with more metal in the action, the better the accuracy. Based on what you are saying, it will not matter.

With a fat long barrel the single shots solid bottom might help but with the 24" 223 varmint contour I tryed it sure didnt matter. The big benefit with a single shot is you dont have to worry about the rounds fitting in the magazine or the runout getting knocked way off from the feed ramps. I like repeaters for walk-about guns but for long range or shootin prairie dogs off the hood of the truck the single shots work just fine.

Well it seems since the rifle will be used for varmint and long range paper punching, the single shot is the way to go. I like the fact that the action will have more metal for stability may just be mental, but hey, I like simplicity.

Well it seems since the rifle will be used for varmint and long range paper punching, the single shot is the way to go. I like the fact that the action will have more metal for stability may just be mental, but hey, I like simplicity.

You thinking the Mod 12 single or the Long Range precision with the target action in the single shot? 223?

Tank

The vls is a really nice gun, I have a 22-250 and it's very accurate. I dropped in a timney at 2lbs and that made it even better. A friend has a 223 &22-250, both with timneys and set in boyds thumbhole laminates. They are Very comfortable too shoot.

What are the differences? I like the Low Profile because of the laminated stock. (old school) on my part.

Low Pro has the laminated fluted, varmint contour, and the Precision Long Range has the Target action (lighter trigger, more metal in the action) Heavy full 1" contour barrel, HS Precision Stalk with their alloy molded bedding system (not the accu-stock).

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.