REMINGTON VLS 308.

kc

Hey all.
I am new here and I like this page too" My
wife bought me a new Remi VLS 308 and she is sweet(Wife too),I have been shooting and cleaning and it still just wont put 5 in moa at one target, So" I keep cleaning it. What is the best thing I can do to get the most out of thi rifle. I have a SWIFT 6X24X50 scope.Over Christmas vac I was shooting on a
secluded beach on Lake Michigan there was
range up to 10 miles, I was doing ok for a rookie the only problen was the walk 400 yards..Was the choice of a 308 a good one for long range? Keith...

cool.gif

Early last year, I picked up a Rem 700VS in .308 Win. Had some trials and tribulations w/ the thing, but in the end it wound up shooting pretty darn good. You didn't mention if you are handloading for it or not. Mine never did shoot very well w/ the only factory ammo I tried, Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr and 175gr. It *really* liked 175gr SMKs over 45.0gr of Varget w/ CCI BR2 primers. I got a load working w/ 168gr SMKs, but I've never gotten anything lighter like a 155gr to work.

If your barrel is like mine, it likely has an overly long throat, so trying to seat out to the rifling may be futile. Also, mine has a rather large diameter neck chamber (fired brass comes out around 0.346-0.347). For my gun, concentricity was key. Getting the runout down under 3-4 thou for loaded rounds was the secret to small groups.

HTH,

Monte

I have been loading my own, so far I have used H355 and H335 with good results, now I will be loading with IMR 4064. I use CCI BPs
with SMK 168gr and Sierra SPBT 165s, any pointers you can give would be appreciated. I have been loading for over 10 Years for hunting rounds only,now I am looking for accuracy(consistantly)I have a REMI 700.223
that shoots so dang good I dont wont to ask for more. I can shoot the heads off a squrrel
at 200 yards. it is a real getter. Out of the box, I worked on two other REMI .223s and had the same results..

Welcome Keith, Sit back and enjoy the words of wisdom.. By the way, where is Swartz Creek?

10 miles of Range?
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
I could dig that!!

I am in the GRR area

Nodak

Keith,

Glad to make your aqaintance. The Grand Forks area is the Homeland. I am orig from the MN side and my wife is from the ND side, you could say I grew up in the sticks, but fell in love with the plains. Some of the best deer hunting/walleye fishing and LR shooting opportunities going today...

I no longer work on A/C, but worked 12 years on SA-227's, F-27's, DHC-8's, SF-340's to RJ85's as an A&P Mech. Currently very happily employed with working with A/C in the interest of safety..

What part of Canada you hail from? Growing up I considered Lake of the Woods my playground, but then discovered Lake Sakakawea in Nodak. Hey Best of both worlds only 7-8hrs apart

Nodak

[ 01-08-2003: Message edited by: Nodak7mm ]

I was born in Mich spent summers runing buck wild north of Kingston (perth) and got eaten alive in Wawa North of the Soo (black flies). I fell in love in the western Ontario,Man the fishing is great. Some of my clan is from Tower Minasota. Got hurt real bad at Buick in 1990 and lost some of my memory (anisthesia and surgerys)and been put on disabilaty.Its a b!^c# Love to hunt.
Married my HS sweet heart I call her jail bait.. My Daughters love to shoot and know how to cook wild game..
If any of you guys have any input on working a 308 to the best it can be I sure could use it..Thanks guys ...Keith..

Swartzcreek is 12 miles east of Flint. One mile from GANDER MOUNTAIN. 22MILES from WILLIAMS GUN SIGHT. And We have a place in Perry Mi that we shoot Starlings out to 225 and 300 yards..
Keep in touch with me I will be neading some help soon, I will be buying a new 1100 Remi for deer and turkeys but befor this I will be geting a Muzzelloader to many deer and not enough time. Guys" I will need some patiance my spelling is bad, I have lost some of my memory deue to the many surgerys and the drugs(I have been broken and stitched up to many times)..
But this cant stop me from hunting, shooting,
and fishing. You may find me at Hunt Chat,
I make no excuses for my love of Canada and all the best of times I had growing up there.
After I get those toys out of my way and quit bringing old Springfields home and all the gun projects I seem to whip up every month, I plan to buy a real shooter..What kind of action should I start with? I have a Douglas Barrel on a Springfield that shoots great out to 300 yards 4inches, now don't sniff at this" I know there are some real shooters on this page but she has a lot of history....Kieth..

Kieth,

Welcome to the sport! I love helping people with their 308s. As far as cleaning it stick to J.B. bore compound, it is kind of intimidating at first but it works excellent at keepin it clean and shooting good. Dont forget to use a powder solvent or sweets 7.62 solvent to clean out the compound. If somthing like sweets or the barnes solution is used, ram a double patch through after cleaning to ensure both the compound and the solvent are out all out of the barrel, that kind of solvent may damage your barrel if left in there long. As far as if the 308 is a good long range performer, it can be awesome! If I remeber right, your vs has a 26" barrel. If I am wrong let me know. If you have the 26" barrel, I think it has a 1-12" twist. Try loading the Sierra MK 168 and 175. If those dont work, try the 155 Palma match by Sierra. Powders? Try Hogdon VARGET for the 26" remington 308 for all 3 bullets. Also after shooting several 700 308 rifles, I found that they really like an OACL of 2.830" Even the 155. Also try RL-15 and RL-12 powders. And if none of those work well, try H-380. That yeilds High velocity, good accuracy and conscitent velocities. But VARGET seems to really work well in the 26" 308s with the 1-12 twists. Shooting. Watch how much shoulder preasure and cheek preasure you have. The butt should be felt but no preasure. The cheek may be felt, but no preasure. Stick to a clean rifle, develop a good load, watch the preasure and enjoy 2-4" at 600 yards.

If ever you have questions about the 700 308, email me anytime. [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.